Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your advice please:Am running WIN98SE (after formatting, partitioning). HD is only 8.4GB, but after 3 years of hard use still have roughly 5GB free. ( Am a software junky but store most appys on CDRs and ZIPs.
I am not a gamer. Computer is Packard Bell multimedia, AMD-K6-2,3DNOW,model 955. I've changed CDROM to 52X and installed a good burner(both less than 6 months ago). All in all, (using DSL), am well pleased with system. However, I've been thinking of upgrading by changing to maybe 40GB HD, and new MOBO. I can get the ASUS A7V133 raid mobo w/VIAKT133A chipset w/Socket A interface, AND 1.2GB AMD Athlon processor for $169 + tax. Will I also have to upgrade power supply( don't have specs on present one)? Your thoughts please. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Old adage . . ."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

More than likely, the K6 is using 2 or 4 clock dimms, or possibly 66 MHZ dimms. Your new board will require new memory, as your existing RAM will be too slow.

You will more than likely need a new powewr supply as Athlones like to suck the juise. Recommended minimum is 250 - 300 Watts. An additional fan or 2 for the hot Athlones would also be necessary.

If your also asking on whether or not you should go for the upgrade, I will only ask you this . . .

Do you need it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Randy, As an electronics man, yes, I do know the adage, "If it aint broke, don't fix it.". And, also, "Do you need it?".
So, thanks for such a quick reply, and I will stay with what I have (and am ? satisfied with) until it dies or is too outmoded. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.