Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is that after a certain (random) amout of time playing any MMO (no other "out of box" games), it will terminate abnormally, at first I figured it was just a bug in my system, but it continued even after I reformatted, twice.
My first theory was that it was just a bug with Mabinogi, but it's occured with Dream of Mirror and most recently EVE online.
This never happened when I first downloaded Mabinogi, but after getting broadband I caught a virus, and shortly after that I reformatted.
I can't imagine any system bug that can survive through two reformats, but I have no clue what the real problem could be, if you have any advice, please let me know.
If it helps I'm running Windows XP home edition and have Verizon internet.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
So, the game worked on this particular system before the virus? What are the other games that work? Just a few examples.
One possibility is a virus that has gotten into the MBR of the hard drive, so that it stays there even through a reformat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it worked just fine, it was a little slow since I was on dial-up, but I didn't notice any change after I got broadband.
I can play all my other out of box games like halo, diablo 2, and jedi outcast online without any problems.
I really hope it didn't, but I don't see any of the other bugs that came with it, no pop-ups and I can still run internet explorer just fine. this isn't a 100% occurance, I've been able to leave Mabinogi running all night without any effect, but more often than not it will shut down for no apparent reason.
I'm not very good at video games to begin with, so I really don't need tech issues adding to the problem.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Are you using the same firewall program as you did previously? Have you created an allow rule for the games?
This would be your last bet... http://www.windowsnetworking.com/nt/atips/atips74.shtml Or even brutally rewriting: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kb...ps/Miscellaneous/RewriteMasterBootRecord.html

Anyways. Those are just emergency things to try. They may not even work either, there's no guarantee that there's anything wrong with the MBR, it's a very slight chance that you caught a virus that went there.

First, I'd check the temperatures. Download HWMonitor, install, run, let it run while you play, say DOMO, shut down the game after ~30 minutes (hope that it runs that long...), then check the CPU/Core and GPU temperatures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe I am using the same firewall, I'll look to see if there are exceptions for the games, but I've had trouble with my CPU overheating before, first it was because the fan went out (fixed) second when the weather hit 100 degrees here, normally when it get's too hot it just shuts down the computer, but I'll try that too and see.

Okay, Mabinogi wasn't an on the list to I added it to the exceptions, hopefully this will just be added to my track record of easy fixes that I somehow missed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the problem remains, but I noticed that I got kicked off right when I recieved a phone call. I don't know if that would be the cause of it, there've been plenty of times when a game terminates on it's own.

It is, the only thing that screws me up now is the phone, know a way I can fix that?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
You should talk to your ISP about getting kicked because of the phone. The game's antihack system might think you're fiddling something when the phone "accesses your internet connection".

·
Registered
305 Posts
I noticed that I got kicked off right when I recieved a phone call. I don't know if that would be the cause of it, there've been plenty of times when a game terminates on it's own.
That could be a key element. If you are using a broadband connection via your phone line both the phone and the internet share the same wire. What keeps them separated is the area each sit in. If there is a fault, anyone using the phone incoming or outgoing can crash your internet.

Here's a little diagram representing the concept (the real numbers are different)

Imagine the wire has space for 4 signals
|1|2|3|4|
Your internet sits in 2 (B for broadband):
| B | B | 3 | 4 |
You should be able to get a phone call at the same time (T for telephone):
| B | B | T | T |
But if there is a fault on the line then the telephone section can run over the internet
| B | T | T | T |
If this happens then the internet connection is disrupted. It can happen for incoming and outgoing calls. And you will get kicked off a MMO as if you pulled the plug on your modem.

It can also happen if the splitter between the phone and the phone socket is faulty or missing. (In shame I must admit I almost called the phone company once, but realised that one phone in my house did not have a splitter.)

Hope that helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I kinda get it, but I'm not sure it really matters, the games have started terminating on their own again, so adding them to the firewall and changing the dsl filter like I was told by verizon didn't fix it and I'm back to square one.

Well, I need to revise that, the games are terminating on their own if I'm on a busy server, if the server is relatively empty then it works fine, at least until the phone rings.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, I need to revise that, the games are terminating on their own if I'm on a busy server, if the server is relatively empty then it works fine, at least until the phone rings.
If using the phone or receiving calls causes disconnection then there is a fault on the line. I really think you'll need to get that sorted first. A fault is, by its nature, unpredictable. As such without fixing that you'll not be able to tell what problems are at your end and what problems are with the line.

It could be a crossed wire or something so you could get disconnects from someone else in your street using the phone. They could only be in during peak hours so it could only happen when you are on busy servers...

There's a lot of 'if's in the above statement, but it just illustrates that if you have identified a fault then you need to fix it before troubleshooting any other issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just replaced the splitter on the phone lines and I'm still getting interupted. Could the problem be with the phone cords themselves? I want to make sure it's not something simple before I start calling the phone company.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You could try and swap over the lead connecting the modem to the splitter. That would be checking the whole system (unless you plan on pulling the wires out the wall!).

I'd say that you've done enough to warrant the call though. A decent phone company should do a check for faults fairly easily - just say you get internet disruption when you have a phone call, and you've replaced the splitter for the broadband but it's still a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I've got plenty of spare cords lying around, I'll switch the phonelines out and if that doesn't work, I'll give the phone company a call and have them check for faults.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.