Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, after several days of cleaning up a clients laptop of around 150 viruses, i think it's now clean. But as always, viruses have effects after they have been removed, and in this case its that it has removed all the links to programs in the all programs list.

All the folders are there, but no links inside them. I have been googling this for multiple hours and the only thing i have found is to restore them using a folder called 'smtmp', well this laptop doesn't have a folder by that name anywhere on the laptop. Also i have ran Unhide.exe.

Does anyone know a way of getting all the links back?

- Cheers

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
It sounds like a new installation of Windows. All the programs will need to be reinstalled. Even if they are still in Program Files, they are not installed and most of most program's components are not located in their program's folder, anyway.

Check Add/Remove, but the programs are probably not there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try going to Start and then Run, type: regedit and press enter.

Navigate to HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Menu Order\StartMenu - Delete it.
Navigate to HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Menu Order\StartMenu2 - Delete it.

Restart and see if All Programs is rebuilt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.