Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running Windows ME on a dell...
Cleaning out this PC earlier this evening, while trying to salvage it after it was a "family computer" filled with all kinds of crap, pictures, random empty folders, etc... you know the situation with the family computer. older parents... ugh lol
Anyway, like I said, I deleted a LOT of stuff, removed some junk programs, and everything was fine. Was running AOL, Word, Kodak pic editor, a few different programs. Everything fine. A couple of hours later, I open My Computer to click on my control panel. When it opens though, there are no icons there. It says "32 items" at the bottom left hand side of the screen like they're there, but the folder window is empty. I can't right click, and I tried randomly clicking around the screen to see if they were just somehow "hiding," but nothing. I'm also noticing the same problem when I try to open "My Documents" and also the C drive. Again...number of items listed in the corner like all's well, but no icons. Other folders are fine, (work folders with pic icons, ms word doc icons, etc.) ...just those others. I'm also noticing a few minor errors in AOL, like I can enter text in every text box of an email except the body. Gggrrr...
I tried refreshing, rebooting, cold start... nothing.
My first thought at this point would be to reinstall Windows ME, but I don't have an OS disc to do so. Any ideas on what may be missing or what may have happened? Did I delete some random file somehow earlier that I shouldn't have? Is there somewhere I can visit to reinstall without having a disc? Where do I go from here?
Any help would be greatly appreciative. Thank you!

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Without a disk, you can't repair the system or reinstall. As to what happened, you either deleted something the system actually needed, or there were viruses and spyware installed that damaged things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.