Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sister got a new computer for christmas and it needed windows xp installed on it so i put my windows xp cd in and started to format and everything then when i was copying files from the cd and it had about 29 minutes left till everything was done it says cannot find files and it opened a box to browse for them for the cd at location D:\i386 but it cant find the files?

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
You put your Windows XP install cd into her computer. I am afraid that this is just a bit illegal and also can not and should not be done. All you have managed to do is trash her system. What needs to be done is to get a brand new install cd from Microsoft and install it. If this was a brand new computer what Operating System was on it? If it came with a recovery disk or recovery partition I would suggest running the system recovery software this will get the computer back working. Then as I have said go to the store and purchase a new Windows XP disk with the legal key code.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no OS was on the computer is a new harddrive and everything i got off newegg so i need to go buy a new windows xp cd? do you know why files were missing from the i386 or files that i would have to look for in i386?

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Installation cd's are written by the manufacturers of the computers especially for their systems, for example if you are using a Dell installation cd on a Compaq or some other computer the processors are different and also other parts that the particular install software is looking for so the installation decides that since it is the wrong computer it will not find certain things. I am sure that this disk will work just fine on the computer it was made for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.