Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Acer laptop running Windows 95. When I boot the machine a message comes up asking to run the Safe Mode.
Then the following messages pop up:

HIMEM is testing extended memory...done

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS

The following file is missing or corrupted:
C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

I only have a boot disk which I dowloaded from BOOTDISK.COM.
What can I do?
I'm really going crazy.
HELP

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
You need to Extract new copies of them from a .cab file. On most laptop the Windows .cab files are copy to the hard drive. Use Find to locate them. Then from MS-DOS prompt: Extract /a <cdrom>:\<win95 or win98>\<cabinet>.cab

IFSHLP.SYS should be in the .cab file 12/13/19 or 20 depending on the version of Windows.

If you don't have the .cab files you can download the .dll files from the net, here's one site to try: http://www.marketwizz.net/windows95/win95b/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for your reply. I checked that website and I could only find "ifshlp.sys" which I downloaded. I couldn't find "dblbuff.sys". The problem is I don't know how to put this file (ifshlp.sys) on my laptop. Any idea where can I find "dblbuff.sys"?
ps; sorry I replied so late.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody, please help. I have to fix this laptop or else...
Did I mentioned it belongs to my girlfriend? She's gonna kick my back side if I don't make it work.
Anybody out there, HELP!!!

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
That's funny you are afraid of your girlfriend.

Place the ifshlp.sys and dblbuff.sys files in C:\WINDOWS folder.

P.S. I was going to e-mail the second file but your profile does not include an address, add it or send me an e-mail message.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
I don't really know how to do that.
I sent you a message with my e-mail address.
Waiting for your reply or anybody elses who has any idea how I should sort this problem out.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I tried to send via e-mail.

Save the attached file to C:\Windows, which can be done when you select the attached and select Save-As to A:. Boot the laptop with a Windows Startup diskette, insert the floppy with the two files, copy them to C:\Windows, remove the floppy, and reboot.

i.e., COPY A:\ifshlp.sys C:\Windows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did that and it worked.
I still have to start Windows in safe mode. Then there is this message saying
"This version of Windows runs only on MS-DOS 8.00".
And then
"C:\>"
What command do I have to type in so I can start Windows up ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just realized why it says "This version of Windows runs only on MS-DOS 8.00".
After I copied those two files into the laptop and rebooting the system there was a message saying that it cannot load Windows because it cannot find "win.com".
So, I copied that file from my other computer which runs Windows ME and put it into the laptop (which I think was very stupid-personal opinion).
Now, there are no error messages but when I type C:\>win it says, again "This version of Windows runs only on MS-DOS 8.00".
What do I do now?
I screwed it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.