Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to purchase Microsft Word. I see that the 2002 version is included in MS Works Suite ($94.99); however, the problem is that I already have separate versions of Streets and Trips, Picture It, and Encarta, so I'd be duplicating them with by purchasing Works Suite.

Apparently, the stand-alone Word 2003 sells for around $200, so I'm wondering if I'm better off buying Works Suite with the 2002 version. Or perhaps there's a better way. (I currently have MS Word Pad on my PC.)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Here you are sir! Save your money, especially if you only want word.

Download and install THIS gem of a program. Basically, it's Microsoft office, but free, called 'Open Office'. I can testify that it works as well or better then MS office, and is completely compatible with it too!!

If you are not sure, ask some people here for their input, and I'm sure you will get rave reviews (well, maybe not rave, but good enough....lol).

Hope this helps you, AND saves you some money!

Scorp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you really must have Word then I think the 2002 ver for $95 is a good deal. I doubt you would get $100 worth of benefit from buying the 2003 version.

If you don't absolutely have to have Word then there are some really good free options out there. For a very good, free office suite, look at OpenOffice. If you just want a word processor then look at AbiWord which is also free.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
wgreene: Check THIS out.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thanks, sekirt. I don't understand that, I tried it after I posted and it worked for me.However I tried it again just now and got a 'This page cannot be displayed'. Thanks again. I hope Greene saw it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
sekirt: When I run my mouse over THIS in my post, I see nothing. Am I supposed to see the URL?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Flags said:
sekirt: When I run my mouse over THIS in my post, I see nothing. Am I supposed to see the URL?
Hi Flags - if you're using IE then when you hover over a link you'll see the address in the message bar that runs across the bottom of the browser window.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
slipe & Surreal2: Got it. Never noticed that before. Thanks. I learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Surreal2: A long, long time ago one of my teachers told me that it is not necessary to know all the answers, but it IS necessary to know where to find all the answers.
That's where TSG comes into play. These people are fabulous and I really appreciate them.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi Flags...yup...I learnt the same thing when working as a journalist...the key is to know what resources are available so you can find the info you need. And the internet has made that a lot easier.

·
Registered
435 Posts
When I hover my mouse over 'here' in Firefox, I get the proper address, but when I click on it, I get M$. Weird!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.