Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure hope someone can help me here...I am about to pull my hair out.
My computer will not recognize that I even have a mic plugged in.
I have read many different threads on here and tried every thing.
For one thing if I go to control panel then to speech, there is no tab for speech recognition so I can't even go in and see what's wrong.
When I do the hardware test with my mic...it says it doesn't detect my voice.
If I try to use the recorder ...its dead nothing happensYes my mic is plugged in the right place ( Pink ) and it is turned on.

Here is what I am working with

Dell Dimension Processor (Intel Pentium)
Windows XP
Creative SB Live 5.1 sound card.
I have done everything I can do in the sound and audio...everything is checked that needs to be.
I am so frustrated....I know for a fact my mic (Shure PG48) works because I have been using it on another computer for the past two weeks for online karaoke.
Keep in mind that I am somewhat computer illiterate...so if you have any advice please put it in layman's terms so I can try to understand.
I sure hope someone can help me....I would be so thankful!!
MsRose: :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you sure your mic. actually works? - Not being funny but cheap PC mics arent very reliable. Assuming it does work have you made sure the slider is turned up for your mic. and that it is not muted?
(Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices>Audio Tab Check on Sound Recording that the slider is turned up and not muted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I stated in my original post...Yes my mic works fine....I use it with my karaoke machine and also on my Hubby,s computer.
Is Shure a cheap mic...I don't know it was a Christmas gift.
I went to the control panel and to sound recording several times...it does's absolutly nothing....and nothing is muted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my mic.

I can hear sounds from my pc, so I know it's not the speakers just not playing back my voice. I have tried adjusting the levels, (it's not on mute) and still no input from the mic. I'm running XP, had the mic working just fine a few months ago and just tested it (plus another one) on my laptop. Both work fine on the laptop, nada on the PC.

Sounds and audio device settings are normal, I've checked 20x. Volume Control for the mic is set mid-range.

My sound card is an Avance AC'97 Audio and my PC says it's functioning correctly.

I'm about to give up.

I recorded a quick vid to show my PC audio/mic settings. I would have narrated it, but.... I CAN'T.

http://screencast.com/t/R4yFCmfg

PLEASE-- can anyone help?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Follow up: just went to DriversCollection.com to download the driver update. Downloaded and unzipped the file, then followed the instructions on the readme.txt file:

1. Went to my Control Panel --> Double-click the "System" icon to open the "System Properties" dialog from Control Panel .
2. Choose "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button .
3. Please right-click mouse on "MultiMedia Audio Controller" and choose the "Properties" menu item
to show the driver details.
4. Click the "Driver" tab and then click the "Update Driver..." button for update.
5. Please follow the instructions of the "Upgrade Device Driver Wizard".
6. Choose "Search for a suitable driver for my device" and click the "Next" button.
7. Please specify the driver location/source and then click the "Next" button in this case,
"Specify a location" has been chosen.
8. If "Specify driver location" is chosen, the Wizard will ask for the path where the driver is located.

Then the Hardware Update Wizard kicks in starts searching for the location of the driver I just downloaded, and then I get this message:

Cannot Continue the Hardware Update Wizard

The Wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

Are my options exhausted? Do I need a new sound card?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I want to get in line behind MsRose426 and Mebits. I can't get my microphone to work, either.

I have a Dell Dimension E520 running Vista. I can see the little Speech Recognition structure at the top of the screen telling me that the system is either Sleeping or is Listening. It makes no difference. When I go to the Adjust Microphone Volume screen of the Microphone Setup Wizard it tells me that it can't hear me. You are asked to repeat the magic sentence, "Peter is dictating to his computer. He prefers it to typing, and particularly prefers it to pen and paper." There is a horizontal bar on the screen that is supposed to respond to the sound intensity in some way as you speak the magic words but it doesn't move. I know that both the headphones and the microphone are working. I can hear myself in the 'phones and I can use the mike to drive the Sound Recorder (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Sound recorder). Furthermore, on going to Control Panel/Sound/Recording I find that the mike is working. If it is significant to somebody the mike is a Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC, and having said that I've told you more than I know of the subject.

Is there some way of setting mike volume independent of Speech Recognition??

Anybody have any ideas (other than going back to my old win 98 system). I know it probably wouldn't do speech recognition, but then I wouldn't expect it to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ok, I never did get the microphone to work the way I wanted it to. I had been plugging in the mic at the front of my PC (several of them, in fact) and Nada. Nothing. Zip.

So my genius, and yet rather annoying spouse says, "Why not plug it into the back?"

And I did.

And it worked.

I do not know why.

The front plug is still dead; if you've got another-- try it too.

Now I just need a longer corded mic.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Give your lady a pat on the back - or wherever! I tried going in the back terminals with your result; now I have some, if limited, control over the screen. At least the microphone knows I'm there. Now though, I'm running up against a situation where, having successfully called up Mozilla Thunderbird, I want to use the Show Numbers command. When I say Show Numbers it doesn't, but a box pops up telling me to say a number (which isn't there) in order to navigate about on the screen and there's nothing I can do to get rid of it short of putting the program into the Sleep mode after which on awakening it goes through the whole stupid thing all over again. Ask your lady about this one and if she comes up with an answer you've obviously been neglecting a great resource. I can see it now!! "MEBITS AND WIFE, SPEECH RECOGNITION THERAPISTS".

Please give me the benefit of your thoughts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi there-- I'm not very familiar with speech recognition software, I was just trying to get my mic to register so I could dictate some chartwork with video for my work. I'm just glad you have *some* success with the new mic jack. It's a start, anyway.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.
Regards, mebits, (the misses) Heh heh. My spouse is a man. I'm the wife :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
hmmmm.... Your spouse is a man.... in that case pat him on the back - or wherever. Now I think I understand the "annoying spouse" part.

Since overcoming the microphone thing it's been one obstacle after another. If it's not the previously-mentioned hangup with the Show Numbers command it's something else. I've come to the conclusion that the SR program is a piece of junk, which description pretty much describes the whole of Vista. I yearn for my old usable Win 98 system. But I rant on .....

Good luck to your work whatever it may be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.