Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my motherboard and CPU information:

Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard BIOS: 4S4EB2X0.86A-0024.P17 and AA on board 720932-209

Intel Pentium III - 450 MHz, 512 kb cache, 100 MHz bus

From what I understand and according to Intel's SE440BX-2 support documents (especially the update specs). This board should be capable of 768 MB of PC100 SDRAMs (a 256 MB SDRAM in each slot).

The problem is when I install the 256 MB PC100 SDRAMs that I bought, the PC freezes on bootup and does not show the usual diagnostic information on the screen. I tried it in all the slots, I tried each of the sticks in each of the slots (I purchased 3 of them). The intel documentation says the bios should automatically detect it, so there shouldn't be any bios settings. I even tried putting the jumper into setup mode, but that didn't help any.

Is there anything that I am missing? Do I have to buy a new motherboard now?!? I really don't want to have to do that.

THANKS!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi GGF,
First I would like to know if this is a new motherboard that has never been installed ( used )? Likewise, if the new memory has ever been used into a system? *Al*
The next set of questions will determine a possible solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the PC new about 2 years ago. I used a 128 MB PC100 SDRAM in it and wanted to more memory. The RAM I bought for an online store in the states. I can't verify if it is new or not.

The seller says that it has a lifetime warrantee though. But I probably have to verify that it is truly dead ram. What are the odds of 3 dead SRAMs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
GGF
I had a problem like this and it turn out to be "Two Clock instead of Four Clock" type SDRAM. Because of this type it would not boot up to POST. I'm afraid the sticks you have are the wrong type for your motherboard.
Many M/B can have the PC133 installed even though it is designed for PC100. The Memory stick will down-grade to the PC100 banwidth without any problems.
It's funny to see the PC133 sell alot cheaper than the old style PC100 memory sticks. Technology, you got to love it.
Good Luck. *Al*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any suggestions on a new motherboard that supports the memory that I bought?

It has to be able to take my processor, have at least 3 pci slots, 1 agp, and an ISA slot, 2 IDE controllers. Nothing too expensive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi GGF,
I'm glad to see you want to salvage your components and devices, but the truth is, as far as the memory sticks are concerned for a new M/B, it's on the obsolete side of manufacturing. It maybe possible to check some "PC Fairs" or places that may have old inventory if they have some in stock.
But not all is lost, check the documentation of your M/B and look for the ability to use PC133 SDRAM on your current computer. As I understand it, you wanted to increase the size of your memory, so maybe this avenue of approach is accessible for you. You'll still have your machine and all the stuff in it, but without all that work just to improve memory size.
As far as the PC100 sticks you have, and if you no longer want them, you can try to sell them on EBay. At least you can get some money returned. Good Luck to you. *Al*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.