Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am trying to upgrade my system while getting rid of a failing motherboard, I recently bought a stick of 512mb PC133 ECC DIMM CL3 KINGSTON RAM, I also have 2 256mb PC100 and PC133 sticks of ECC DIMM CL2 Ram, in my old motherboard 2 of the 3 Ram slots have failed, I believe cause when you put a stick of memory in them, the pc wont boot up, they used to work before with the same memory but do not now, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-71XE4, kingston says it only makes 256mb sticks for the board so im assuming that it can only support 256mb sticks, but I read the mobo's faq sheet and it says nothing of this, it only says it supports 768mb of ram total, so I guess it wont use a 512 and a 256 stick together to make 768mb just 3x256, basicly I have 2 questions, First CAN New BIOS and Mobo drivers make my mobo support the 512mb stick I have, SECOND question CAN you use CL2 and CL3 Memory in the same PC as long as it supports both memory sizes. By the way the motherboard I will be upgrading too is a MSI K7T Turbo2(MS-6330 v5.0) this is what memory it says it supports # Main Memory Three 168-pin unbuffered DIMM using six memory banks.
# Maximum memory size of 1.5GB (32M x 8).

THANX FOR ANY HELP!!
# Supports 3.3v SDRAM DIMM.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
It will work with either cl2 or cl3, the cl3 is just a bit slower so it would be the limiting memory speed.

Problem is the MSI board does not support ECC parity memory so I don't believe it will work

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.