Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

Here's the story. Old HDD gave up the ghost (4 years old, fair enough). Decided to buy a 300gb WD Velociraptor, as well as a PCi wireless card to replace my old belkin dongle.

Installed win7 64bit Pro today, everything went smoothly. Drivers for everything are up to date and installed.

Am running a dual monitor setup, and am watching some videos that I have ripped from my futurama dvds - these are kept on a separate hard drive - while installing games such as EVE online, and World of Warcraft (WoW by pulling the mpq files off the disc onto the desktop, then installing with the launcher, a valid way of installation for this game).

However, video and audio now stutter - this happens even when the computer is idling - and never used to happen with my previous installs of win7.

I am at a loss. This has never happened before - it happens most frequently while my DVD drive is active.

Temps are all fine, cooling is adequate, case was cleaned when I put the new hardware in.

It 'feels' like a bottleneck, like the computer is struggling to route the data from the media HDD, but I dont see why.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II BE x3, overclocked to 3.2ghz - (this clock has been stable for a year)
4gb OCZ1600 RAM, downclocked to 1333 with 6-6-6-25(1t) (stable for a year)
Gigabyte motherboard, MA790XT UD4P
2x ATi HD4870 running in CrossFire
Lynksys Dual-band PCI Wireless-N adapter, connected to a wireless G network (I know, I know - but I'm future-proofing myself)

1x 300gb WD Velociraptor 10k-rpm - new Windows boot drive
1x WD 1tb drive (media drive, music, videos etc)
1x 300gb drive with the OLD windows install present - divided into two partitions.
Cant recall the DVDRW make, but it is fairly recent and is nothing 'special'.

Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Removing the wireless card seems to have improved the situation vastly, but I would like to do without a wireless dongle.

Any suggestions as to 1) why this happened, and 2) how I can make it work?

My thanks

(edit) Fresh install, without the wireless card. I'll try the card again tomorrow, but any advice would be appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.