Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When upgrading ME to XP Home, I lost all my current Outlook Express Inbox, and even worse, my address book. When I open outlook express I get inbox from 2002 (!) and empty address book. In about 2002 I turned off system restore as it was stuffing something up at the time, I cant remember what now. Are my emails and address book lost for good? I did a search on *.wab, but only came up with the 2002 empty adress book.
Should I give up, or are they in there "somewhere"? Thanks from this new user

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Search for *.wa*
You will get a lot of useless results (like all your .wav files) but you may find an Address Book backup. Pay attention especially to those ending with .wa~

Ignore any in System Volume Information folders since those are System Restore files created after the installation of XP.

Copy them to your desktop, one by one, and rename them to something.wab

Click to open. If you find yours, use Import from the File menu in Address Book to add the entries it contains.

For the Inbox, we may be able to narrow it down a bit more. Search for Inbox.db* files. If you find any, copy to desktop and rename to .dbx

Then, use the Import function to import the messages to see if you found your old Inbox.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx - it was worth a try, but no luck! BTW, do u know where and how are my emails stored? What file extension? can I go to a folder and view the outside of outlook express? Thanks again for your suggestion

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
There is still hope. Quite a lot, really :D.

This is rather involved, but you may be able to recover your folders and address book.

OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP

The problem you had before is probably due to the poor performance of XP's search. Try a better one, like Agent Ransack. In any case, hidden files/folders must be shown, as explained in the article.

Agent Ransack

PS. No. You can't read them outside OE, with a small qualification.
Dbxtract let's you extract emails and other info from dbx files:

http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.