Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I installed Mandrake over my windows installation but it have erased Windows boot record. So I booted into Windows recovery console and i tried fixboot and fixmbr. I can't boot anything now.... I tried the mandrake recovery thing but it change nothing..... Ther is just a _ bar flashing after he try to boot from the cd-rom

Thanks for your help,

Laurent:( :mad:

·
Registered
16,274 Posts
Sounds like you did more than erase the boot record. It sounds like you completely wiped the whole windows installation.. Did you partition the disk into multiple partitions before doing so ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i have 3 partition that are still clearly defined because I booted with MandrakeMove and I can see the 3 partition. I have one Windows install (C:), a backup partition (D:), a swap and linux ext3. I said I installed Linux OVER Windows because my first install was Windows and then I installed Linux

Laurent

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
before, when I had linux installed after windows I couldn't boot when I selected windows there was just a _ bar flashing. So this is why I decided to try to fix the hd to boot windows and then i could fix windows to boot linux cuz i backed up the linux bootsector. So now the comp try to boot from cd and then there is just a _ bar flashing.

·
Registered
16,274 Posts
It the bios set to boot from cdrom first? If not then do it please then insert you xp disk and enter the recovery console yet again..This time do the following and do it exactly as typed..

type FIXBOOT and answer yes after

type in the following commands and after each click enter and be sure to leave all spaces exactly as they are..

CD \
ATTRIB -H NTLDR
ATTRIB -S NTLDR
ATTRIB -R NTLDR
ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)
COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)

Afterwards reboot

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
If you want to avoid having to worry about multi-boot files altogether, try a boot manager that resides on a special track of the hard drive and doesn't affect the boot files (or need them).

http://gag.sourceforge.net

Follow the directions to make a bootable floppy (it will appear empty to Windows), boot from the floppy, and install GAG. Set it up to point to your chosen OS partitions. Then, when you boot, you will have a nice GUI from which to choose what OS you want to use.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
For more advanced users, this free program allows you to do almost anything you want with the MBR. It also allows for a backup and restore function in case it gets corrupted somehow.

MBR Tool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.