Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the situation.

I have a 250Gb Maxtor OneTouch FireWire and USB - bought by my company. We are not using it to backup data, but to use as an external hard drive to service computers with, i.e. Ghost from - carrying multiple images.....

Maxtor says that it is not possible to boot from this hard drive. Not so, I was able to partition the drive and make it bootable with a 98 disk. The BIOS of my test Compaq P4 picks it up and boots. I have it setup to boot and execute the autoexec.bat right into Ghost.

No problems here, but it transferrs at an average 32mgs a minuete. That is so slow, I believe it is operating a USB 1.1, even though both the PC and drive are capable of USB 2.

First riddle is how to get it to connect at USB 2. Since the device is USB and is already mounted in order to boot, it would be useless to put any drivers on the drive itself.

Part two - On test system 2 - HP PIII, the BIOS does not support booting from USB. I have a Cypress Semiconductor disk that supports USB and am able to boot from floopy, mount the drive and access the drive. Once again it is slow.

This is a USB 2 driver, so I dont know what it holding it back. It boots from a 98 boot disk. I wonder if 98 supports USB 2, or if it is the root of the problem.

Additional ramblings...... It transferrs fine while windows xp is booted, it come up as an regular drive. It took 7 minuets to to copy 2Gig off our network, but when I boot from into dos and try and COPY from the USB drive to a slaved FAT32 drive it took 1 1/2 hours for the same file.

Any comments are welcome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.