Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah i have solved the floppy drive problem (thanks again guys). But now I have 1 HDD that doesn't show up. I cant even acess bios and it tells me I/O Error after it has not found the drive. Cant use boot disks (and dont talk about cd boot, cause i need to use the floppy for the cd rom to work, remember its an old comp.)
I'll check again the IDE wires if they are fine.. we never know.

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Have you tried a different jumper setting? Maybe cable select.

Make sure your IDE and power cables are seated correctly.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
If you are using the really old type ribbon cables, it is possible to get them in backwards. I ran into that tonight on a 233 mhz compaq. The cable doesn't have a slot on one side to line up with the MB slot or in the HDD. Gotta study where the missing pin is and go from there.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i plugged it this way (nice drawing)

|..|======|..|==================|..|
HDD---------------------------- MotherBoard
Plugged
Here

It is plugged the same way the master HDD (the cable of the Master HDD is also plugged to the CD-ROM

· Registered
1,567 Posts
What type of computer is this, make and model#? Mother Board, make and model?

What operating system is installed?

Is the problem HDD your boot drive or storage?

Have you tried running the diagnostic software for the Hard Drive?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Humm thats an old AT computer. I don't have much infos on the board (lost the manual, it's somewhere in my room, just have to find it..) All i know is that it's a socket 7 mb with Intel PCISet (chipset), it's got 4 ram slot (EDO actually), 4 ISA and 4 PCI. The processor is an Intel Pentium 75 (by intel o_O).

The problem is that where i push the power button, the comp starts calculating memory, then it see's one of the HDD (the Master one). But searchs for a second one, for like a minute (and the second one is plugged). After that it says some HDD not found error, press f1 to continue... and then if i press F1, it get's me the no I/O Error

Note that during the whole sequence, i can't access to my bios, don't know why

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Can open the case and see who the drive manufacturuer is?
I'm wondering if the drive has failed.

· Registered
1,567 Posts
If you have drive cabled correctly and the diagnostics software does not detect it, then one would have to assume the drive has failed.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean, how can i put the diag tool on my comp. I am posting on my AMD config which is somewhat younger than my old relic.

-So to make it clear. I cant find a way to put files/infos or whatever from the Athlon to the Pentium75.
-The P75 does not boot further than the "mem check, drive check and then the show comp info" sequence.

I don't know what makes HDD fail, but i never moved this drive out of the case (it was pretty clean) and in fact, i could not remove the molex splitter on it, so i decided to let it screwed in the case.

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Your machine is trying to boot from the hard drive. If you download and create a boot floppy for a HDD diagnostics it will boot from that and search for your Fujitsu HDD.
If it doesn't boot to the floppy you will have to change your boot sequence in Bios;PHOENIX-AWARD BIOS .

If the program starts and doesn't detect your HDD, I would say it has gone bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.