Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running 30 Windows XP machines in a computer lab. Our main network drive where all work gets saved is the "f" drive. More and more of our students are bringing in usb flash drives. The problem is that these flash drives automatically map to "f" as well and therefore cannot be seen. I can go into device disk management under computer management and chose an unused drive letter but this only works for the individual flash drive: as soon as another one is put in a usb port, I have to go through the same process.

Is there a way that I can tell the computer to automatically map these flash drives to another drive other than "f".

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It might be easier to change the drive letter of the existing network drive. If you move it down to "Z" then nothing will bother it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
What are the other letters currently assigned to?

This is apparently a known problem with Windows. If you assign a mapped drive to the next lowest available letter after all the local drives, when you plug in an external drive the MountManager doesn't recognize the mapped drive and tries to assign the new drive the same letter.

Some options I can think of:
1. Set the network share drive to Z
2. Set any optical drives the PC's have to X, Y, Z and keep the share on F. This should free up D or E. (Only if the employer won't let you change the letter.)

Option 1 would be the better course though. Do it once and never have to worry about conflicts again.

See this Microsoft article about the problem: HERE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.