Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mapping a drive to a Windows 2000 Server (no domain, just workgroup) from a 2000/XP workstation. How do I save the password so that the drive maps automatically the next time I turn my computer on?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you're saying that the only way it will 'save' the password is if the password is entered on login via the Windows Login.

Unfortunately, this is a Netware environment so all windows usernames and passwords are 'user'.

There is just one Windows 2000 server that 3 people need to access shares on. I guess I'm out of luck --- unless there is a DOS map command that takes a password argument and I could put it in a batch file??

Rockn, why kind of command would I need to put in a login script to map a windows network drive? Maybe I could through it in the Netware Login Script....

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Didn't realize you had Netware until this last post.

You can use a DOS command to map network connections.

They syntax would be something like:

net use x: \\server\share /user:username password

Where:

x: is the drive letter you want to map
server is the name of the Windows2000 server
share is the name of the share
username is the user's name
password is ..... ;-)

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Since the Windows2000 server is not a domain controller, you can't put the login script there. The workstations are not logging into a domain.

If the login script will run from the Netware server you can give it a try.

Otherwise, with only three computers to deal with, you can:

1. On each computer, make the small batch file with the net use commands you need.

2. Put it, or a shortcut to it, in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup directory.

3. Then no matter who logs into the computer, the batch file will run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.