Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you in advance for trying to help-I am running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8400 and recently I am not able to shut down my system through the Start Up Menu-I am also unable to restart my system. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Try starting from Last Known Good Configuration . At boot, start tapping the F8 key and you should come to the advanced options menu. Use your arrow keys to highlight LKGC and hit the Enter key. If you don't get the menu first try, just keep trying.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Welcome to TSG....

In order to better respond to your question or problem

We require more detailed and specific information
And Please fill in the questionnaire or Fill in the
Computer Specifications in your TSG profile

Please repost your request with:

Computer: Brand Name
Computer: Model Number

Age of system:

CPU: Brand, speed

Ram: Type, amount, speed

Peripheral devices

Operating system: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Other, and Service Pack Installed.
Are you dual booting on this computer?
If so what operating system is the other boot?
Name, version #, date of most recent AV signature file

Vdeo Card: Brand Name, type, speed, Chipset, driver version and date

Video settings: resolution, advanced settings

Please state your specific problem and when it started

Did you change anything, install anything before the problem started?

List any recently installed software

List software running in background ie: anti-virus program, mail programs, backup software.

Any power disruption or incomplete shutdowns

Failed Scandisk/chkdsk or defrag attempts

Use of any “tune-up” utilities, registry utilities, system diagnostics, other third party utility software

Recent downloaded software

Any new programs or files that have recently appeared in your STARTUP menu or msconfig STARTUP listing

This information may be of critical importance in locating and correcting the source of your problem. Please note any additional information or detail about the problem that may be of value in our assessment of the problem.

Thank you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Try holding the power button down for 5 or 6 seconds til it shuts off.Then wait 15 seconds or so to start it back up.Maybe the hard shutdown and a restart will fix things if your lucky.

Edit:Whoops, I guess from the the title of your post you already tried that,sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions-I restored my system to an earlier time and all is fine at this point-Yes I am running Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG, etc. Have been running these for a couple of years now!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.