Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to create mandatory profiles for all of the users, that will be logging onto the system. I'm using windows xp Professional, and keep on getting this error message when I set the users profile from a network location.

"Your roaming profile (read only) is not available. You are logged on with the locally stored profile. This may be caused by incorrect file system permissions or network problems. Contact your network administrator."

When i set the profile up on a tempary account, i made sure that everyone has access to use it. But the profile only works from one account only.

Any ideas
Matt

:mad:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I'm trying to create mandatory profiles for all of the users
Create a User Group, set your policies for that group, then migrate your users into that user group.

As for your error, are you on a domain, or a workgroup?

And one more question, what is your authority/responsibility for these users? If this is a company situation, TSG is for personal owner/users.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Is their profile actually stored in remote location? Does each user account have read & write permissions on the respective folder that contains its profile data?

If this does not help, please provide more detail about your user account plan. Try explaining your plan in a different way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

After tweaking the security settings from the romote location. I managed to load the Man profile without an error message, but it only works on one computer. It seems to load something but does not load the personal settings.

The users do not have permission as such to change the settings, But its only 5 computers on a WORKGROUP, not a domain. I'm still having problems making each user share one central man profile folder, stored on a network location.

Each computer only has one account on it which its just almost like a guessed account. What i'm trying and having problems with is sharing one man profile and having all 5 computer accounts, share the same profile. But all I can manage to do is store one profile on each computer hard drive, and have the account load only that profile up.

Hope this gives you abit more information.

Matt :confused:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You said "man profile" three times. I do not know what you mean by that.

Users on 5 computers cannot share 1 profile. The problem will happen when more than 1 user attempts to use it at any one time. Instead create 5 profiles for each of those 5 users. And if I am not mistaken, they must have read & write permissions to the file that stores their respective profiles.

I do not believe that you can control their ability to change their profile in a workgroup environment with it stored in a remote location. A domain controller is needed to accomplish that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man profile is just my short term for mandatory profile. I had a feeling that it wouldn’t be possible to control profiles in a workgroup. But it was worth a try to see if there were any ideas about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.