Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has my Google account been compromised?

I swear I got about 200 notifications, no lie - all malware.

coming from Google Chrome Application, port 443, 5228, outbound connection, adservice.google.com

Please advise.

·
Trusted Advisor
813 Posts
Has my Google account been compromised?
I doubt it. Most likely your email address just appeared on the lists of a new batch of spammers. It happens all the time. You might have recently opened a new account with an online store or service missed the tiny fine print and option to "opt-out" of notifications. So your email address was given (or even sold) to "partner" services.

Or maybe your username appeared somewhere and bad guys, knowing that millions (billions?) have gmail accounts, just started sending emails to that username @gmail.com.

Nevertheless, any time you even think there was even the remotest chance you might have been compromised, the very first thing you should do is log in to your gmail account and change your password.

Have you done that?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt it. Most likely your email address just appeared on the lists of a new batch of spammers. It happens all the time. You might have recently opened a new account with an online store or service missed the tiny fine print and option to "opt-out" of notifications. So your email address was given (or even sold) to "partner" services.

Or maybe your username appeared somewhere and bad guys, knowing that millions (billions?) have gmail accounts, just started sending emails to that username @gmail.com.

Nevertheless, any time you even think there was even the remotest chance you might have been compromised, the very first thing you should do is log in to your gmail account and change your password.

Have you done that?
Well, not yet. Since it's google and gmail it's tied to my GOOGLE mothership account. Wouldn't I have to change THAT password because it acts as the master?

·
Super Moderator
43,961 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
813 Posts
Before you do that, it seems to be an actual issue with MalwareBytes.
Nice find!

Interesting how it only affected some of us, but not all. I know, for security reasons, the actual problem and actual fix are often not published in order to prevent the bad guys from knowing what to look for in the future. But still, I wish sometimes they (all software developers) would keep us in the loop. Oh well.

·
Trusted Advisor
813 Posts
Yeah, learning what keywords to use in a search engine makes finding answers and solutions to most problems much easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts