Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all want our internet to be faster, don't we? Here's something you may want to try. Open regedit and go to the following;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider

Change the following values to 1

DnsPriority

HostsPriority

LocalPriority

NetbtPriority

Now restart the computer for the changes to take affect and see your internet speed right up!

Always Backup The Registry Prior To Any Changes!!!!​

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Actually, this doesn't really do what you think it does. The priorities determine the order XP searches for DNS entries. By default, this is LocalPriority, HostsPriority, DnsPriority, NetbtPriority. Setting them all to 1 makes XP use the following order: yup, you guessed it, it doesn't change, and for good reason. XP should look for the entries in the following order: it's local arp cache, the hosts file, DNS, and finally WINS. By default, XP uses 5-8, but it doesn't matter the numbers; just put them in the correct order (lowest to highest).

Courtney sends....

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that being the case then why is it that since I made these changes my web pages are opening up 50% faster, some even more. So the changes I made must have been to some advantage wouldn’t you say?

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone here tried this tweak and seen a marked improvement in your page speed other then me? I know it works, despite what Courtneyc posted.

·
Gone but never forgotten
6,781 Posts
What browser are you using? I made the Registry changes you suggest and it appears that Internet Explorer is running faster. However, there doesn't seem to be any difference when I use my regular browser, SeaMonkey.

·
Gone but never forgotten
6,781 Posts
Interestingly, my original (existing) settings were exacly as suggested in the referenced article- 7, 6, 5, 8- not the extremely large numbers shown in the first illustration.

"Lance1" using non-IE browsers makes me tempted to try again what he suggests.

I don't have a stop watch; wish I did!

{redoak}

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you give:
1. The various web pages tested?

http://www.youtube.com/
http://www.interiorsavings.com/
http://www.ebay.ca/
http://forums.techguy.org/
http://photobucket.com/

2. The time it took before the change?

I didn't stopwatch it but it's in seconds, 5 to 10, and in this world seconds is a lot as you know.

3. The time it took afterwards?

Some pages come up in as little as 2 seconds such as http://forums.techguy.org/ sometimes faster. Others such as http://www.youtube.com/ will stay pretty steady at 3.

Quote from SpeedGuide

The order of those low numbers doesn't make a significant difference. Some people even set them to the same small number.
I guess that I am one of those people. I'll stay with the changes I made.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Discrepancy or no Bob, that is as they say, is the way it is. I take it that you are a cynic? I am just posting what I found works on my computer, With all due respect. And I mean respect; I think that your site is a wealth of valuable information. As for the watch! I am not that precise. I just go by visual! If that page “looks” as though it opens faster than it did before… It is farter. Simple minded I know, but it works for me.

·
Gone but always remembered
1,049 Posts
Hello,

Thanks to Lance1 for introducing this thread.

I have gone with the hex values as proposed in the link which Coutneyc provides.

For WinME they are slightly different in registry location, their name is shortened and there is no Type column.

However, as seems to be the case, the order of them is important (though this is not mentioned in the Speedguide article but is mentioned above by Courtneyc).

The order in the attached GIF is the same as it was initially found to be and, after a reboot and with the changed values, it remains the same.

I have no idea how to switch the order of these values - short of deleting them and starting over. Is that what I must do?

Thanks.

Ben.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
So you have them set like in the article and different than Lance1. It's important to know for anyone else wanting to make the registry changes.

Any information on the speed changes? I would hope that the internet cache is being cleared between each test to make it valid. Otherwise there is the likely possibility of simply seeing a speed change due to getting things like graphics from the cached files on the hard drive as opposed to the Internet which would certainly show a faster time.

·
1,049 Posts
Bob Cerelli said:
So you have them set like in the article and different than Lance1. It's important to know for anyone else wanting to make the registry changes.

Any information on the speed changes? I would hope that the internet cache is being cleared between each test to make it valid. Otherwise there is the likely possibility of simply seeing a speed change due to getting things like graphics from the cached files on the hard drive as opposed to the Internet which would certainly show a faster time.
Hello Bob,

I went with Courtneyc and that link.

I will have them set in the order suggested (at the moment it is just the values I have changed) when I learn how to change that order.

No, I haven't observed any speed change as yet, but that may be a function of the correct order. Can you tell me how to change the order, Bob? I am quite comfortable in the registry but this is one thing I haven't yet done.

And yes, I understand the likelihood of cached items loading faster.

ben.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Are you sure it is the order they are listed in the registry that is important? Or is it the order that is determined by what number is assigned to each entry? The latter is what it seems like.

So again, it sounds like you used the numbers in the article and not assigning each entry to be the same number 1. Like Courtneyc said, that wouldn't really do anything.

·
1,049 Posts
Hello Bob,

I quote Courtneyc:

"XP should look for the entries in the following order: it's local arp cache, the hosts file, DNS, and finally WINS. By default, XP uses 5-8, but it doesn't matter the numbers; just put them in the correct order (lowest to highest)."

since he wrote with some authority. And, as you see he suggested the order was important.

So I am on my my own with the re-ordering. Will post back if it works (i.e. what I have in mind to do)!

Ben.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Ben:
I interpret this to mean...
Ensure that local arp cache has the lowest number (in the example 5) and that WINS has the highest number (in the example 8).

The numbers are priorities, with the lower the number the higher the priority. Thus an item with priority 5 is higher than and item with priority 8.

And, the reg entries you post appear to be in this "order".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.