Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My default font for Word is now Times Roman 12. So when I copy something from the Web or elsewhere, it is copied to Word as Times Roman, I want it to copy directly as Arial 12 , so that I don't have to change it. I use Arial all the time.

How can I do this without clicking on a couple of other steps starting with File?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the delay in replying to your suggestion about how to make Ariel 12 my default font in Word. I believe my version of Word is 2003. I have tried ten times following "How to set the default font in Word." with no luck.

I have no trouble following 98% of the instructions. But when I get to the last direction, "Word will not prompt you to save the changes to the Normal template unless the Prompt to save Normal template option is selected on the Save tab. To find this option, click Options on the Tools menu."

When I do this and get Options, I don't see any tab that says Save...only Main, Tabs (not here) Content, Applications, Privacy, Security and Advanced.

Any other help you can give I will try immediately.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
You can delete Normal.dot or move it to another location and then open Word. Normal.dot will be recreated with standard Word defaults. Now try again to set your font default. Keep in mind the quote from Wikipedia highlighted in red. Normal.dot can be found in;

Installed Templates:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033

User Templates Path (Default folder):
C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Normal.dot

Normal.dot is the master template from which all Word documents are created. It is one of the most important files in Microsoft Word. It determines the margin defaults as well as the layout of the text and font defaults. Although normal.dot is already set with certain defaults, the user can change normal.dot to new defaults. This will change other documents that were created using the template and saved with the option to automatically update the formatting styles.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried both the "Installed Templates" and then "User Templates Path (Default folder) " separately, and then tried them consecutively. What came up in 1033 were Columns, Resumes and other folders, none of which had the word "font" in it.

I may have Windows 97. Could that make a difference?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately Office 97 ends with the same advice as what I have tried before, namely:

"Word will not prompt you to save the changes to the Normal.dot file unless you have the "Prompt to Save Normal Template" option selected on the Save tab of the Options dialog box (on the Tools menu, click Options).

" Since I don't see any Save tab, only Main, Tabs (not here) Content, Applications, Privacy, Security and Advanced.

But thanks anyway for trying to help me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.