Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to macros but have been successful in the recording. Problem comes when I'm ready to pass off Macro to other user. Is there an easy way to share macros? I emailed the file which had the macro in it (In this workbook), and it did not come across.
Macro Security is med-low, so I don't think that's the issue.

Solutions?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
akuller: I've moved your thread to business apps, as you will get a lot more responses on macros here than you will in software development.

thanks,

v

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
no worries. We got a zillion pros in here about macros. If nobody has helped you in a day or so, just pm me, and I'll track down someone.

I'd be astounded, however, if nobody has assisted you by that time.

:)

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
if you are emailing it across a domain, it's probably being caught in the mail traps. How far away is the pc that you are mailing it to? If it's close, just toss it on a thumbdrive and carry it over.

If that doesn't work, use winzip to zip it, give it a password, and then try emailing it. That's always worked for me.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
We got a zillion pros in here about macros.
Yeah, including you, valis.... :up:
Another thing I have done is written macros (for Excel) and given them to others only to find out later that they didn't save them where they could be accessed by Excel upon startup - they could just as well as have been in, say, Texas. ;)

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
Yeah, including you, valis.... :up:
Another thing I have done is written macros (for Excel) and given them to others only to find out later that they didn't save them where they could be accessed by Excel upon startup - they could just as well as have been in, say, Texas. ;)
:rolleyes:

trust me, slurp,I got no more freakin' clue as to what I'm doing down here than you do. :)

correct me if I am wrong, though, can't you just have a macro repository? Or does it have to find it through the profile folders?

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I think you certainly can have a repository, but I think that location would have to be assigned to each user once. Really, since I work in such a small place, I just go around and tinker with each machine.

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
I think you can have a repository on the server, as long as the user opens up that worksheet that contains the macro that they want.

Not sure, but I'll most likely get bored and test it. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, now that you've both thoroughly confused me..haha. I've been actually saving off macro in .txt and having users paste into the VBeditor. I was hoping to find a simpler way but it's working. I thought there might be a standard conventional system for macro sharing...silly me!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Oh, there are better ways. Valis has a lot more experience with this than I do (he works for a fairly big company and does real IT work - I work for a small company and just constantly am trying to teach the same old simple stuff to the same people over and over...("I can't find my file....")

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.