Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer regularly tells me that I have low virtual memory. I am nervous about deleting things on my computer, but I know there are programs that I don't need or use. I have a 7 or 8 year old Dell, and am considering buying a new computer, perhaps a laptop, but I want to get the most out of my desktop while I have it. How do I know what to delete and how to delete these items? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Virtual memory has nothing to do with deleting things on your computer. Virtual memory refers to a section of your HD where Windows stores information that would normally go into dynamic RAM (the memory DIMMs on your motherboard) if you had more memory AND Windows had the ability to address all that memory (I have yes to see a computer that has enough memory to avoid having to use virtual memory). If you're getting a "low virtual memory" message, it probably means your virtual memory setting is Custom, meaning Windows is not allowed to increase or decrease it. Try changing it to "System managed size", as follows:

* Click Start, Control Panel, and double-click System
* Click the Advance tab
* In the Performance Options, click the Settings button
* Click the Advanced tab, and in the Virtual Memory section (last one on the page), click the Change button.
* Click the radio button next to "System managed size", then click the Set button and click OK.

You will be asked to reboot to put the setting into effect.

This will allow Windows, not your hardware, to decide how much virtual memory it needs and adjust it accordingly. Hope this solves the problem.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,511 Posts
How much RAM is in that computer?

How large is the hard drive and how much free space is there?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - "Startup"(tab).

In the "Startup Item" column, write down the name of all entries that have a checkmark. Make sure to write them down exactly as you see them spelled there. Post the list here in a vertical column.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.