Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I cannot get into my second hard drive. It had my backup on it. When I try to explore it waits then gives me the option to format it. It seems lately my whole system has slowed down, maybe the problem with my second drive is the problem.

When I click on the drive, it asks if I want to fomat, so I click yes. It takes way too much time for a 80 gig drive and then stops. Is this really the right way to fomat this second drive. My primary drive is a 250 gig with the operating system on it (XP) and like I said before the second drive is just for Acronis backup.
Do I need to use fdisk or another way to format drive "D"?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'd say that you lost your 2nd HDD by selecting YES to format and thereby also losing all your TIB files.

I don't really know what happened to your 2nd HDD, but you should've looked in disk management to see if it is being seen by Windows or as another option, remove the HDD and place it into an external HDD case (a no-frills one is about $20 at a PC store). That way you can see if the HDD is actually still working and not just a connection issue in the PC.

Remember:

Formatting = complete data loss.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Use Disk Management to partition and format a drive. Don't rely on any partitioning or formatting that comes with the drive.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

If you have tib files on that drive and absolutely need to recover them, you can try to recover the partition tables. If all you did was to format, then all the files that were on the drive should be intact and possibly recoverable if all parts are intact.

Free:

Testdisk Documentation
Testdisk Download
Testdisk Boot Disk
Partition Find & Mount
Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
[email protected] Partition Recovery
Bootmaster Partition Recovery
ZAR Partition Recovery
DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
Partition Table Doctor
Nucleus Kernel Recovery for NTFS

If you do not need the tib files from the drive, then use Disk Management, remove the current partitions, create new ones, and format. Run chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors before using the drive for anything important.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use Disk Management to partition and format a drive. Don't rely on any partitioning or formatting that comes with the drive.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

If you have tib files on that drive and absolutely need to recover them, you can try to recover the partition tables. If all you did was to format, then all the files that were on the drive should be intact and possibly recoverable if all parts are intact.

Free:

Testdisk Documentation
Testdisk Download
Testdisk Boot Disk
Partition Find & Mount
Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
[email protected] Partition Recovery
Bootmaster Partition Recovery
ZAR Partition Recovery
DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
Partition Table Doctor
Nucleus Kernel Recovery for NTFS

If you do not need the tib files from the drive, then use Disk Management, remove the current partitions, create new ones, and format. Run chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors before using the drive for anything important.
what do you mean by chkdsk/r? I have a win2k machine, and is that when you go to my computer, right click, go to properties, and then tell it do Error-checking (which it does at startup)?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Goto:

START --> RUN --> type: chkdsk/r --> hit the ENTER key.

It'll say that you need to reboot and it will do the scan on your C partition when you reboot. Depending on the size of your HDD, it can take a while. the /r tells it to repair any errors. You won't be able to use the PC when it does it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.