Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AOpen AX4SPE Max MB, MS XP Pro operating system and two Western Digital WD Raptor SATA drives connected in a RAID configuration. The interleaved one, not the mirror configuration. This has worked well for a couple of years. I recently bought a new digital camera and a 1G Compact Flash card. I left the CF card in the card reader and rebooted the machine. When it came up, I got the message that the boot assignments had been changed and I can no longer find my hard drives.

To get the machine back into use I installed a new WD 160G IDE drive and reinstalled XP Pro. This operates but I still can't find the two SATA drives. During boot the BIOS displays a message to press control-S to enter the RAID configuration software but it does not respond to the control-S input.

Any suggestions? I would like to try things that wouldn't affect the files on the SATA drives, as a first strategy.

Thanks for any help

Photoguy

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Well, I can tell you what happened in case you haven't figured that out yet.

The CF card was recognized as a Drive by the system and when you rebooted it got assigned a drive letter before the RAID array drives.

Why they did not pick up the next consecutively available drive letters...I don't know.

Having removed the CF card, I would have expected a reboot to untangle the ill "Waved Skivvies" (sorry I couldn't resist that opportunity Skivvywaver :p )

Not being a RAID guy myself, I am not really schooled in configuring the RAID BIOS, but I think THAT is where any hope of salvation lies.

Once you get your Drives back I would ASSIGN them drive letters (see Help "drive letters") that are well above the used area, just like you would an Optical drive in a system that you added/removed HD's from frequently.

That's about all I can suggest. :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.