Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup, i'm new here, couldn't find the right catagory for my problem, so dont hate me for this.

My problem: Well, I have two actually. The first is basically when I open my Task Manager function, it doesnt show the tabs (processes, cpu memory etc) it doesnt show that, just all of my current processes.

Now the second problem is when I click on the system > general tab to find my computer specs, it only shows how much RAM I have, not my processor, vid card and all that jazz.
Heres an image to give an idea of wtf im talkin about here
[/URL][/IMG]

Yea yea I know my computer sucks, but usually I wouldn't give a crap about this, but the reason why im askin you guys about this is because my dad wants me to write down EVERYTHING about my computer so he can tally up the costs for an upgrade etc... So if you can help, great. Thanks? :up:

Edit:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service pack 2

The last test i've ran was by AVG Free Edition at 10:30AM 3/13/2008 nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

This is a family site. Please edit your post to remove some of the terms you use.

Please use the "go advanced" button to attach your screen shot. A .jpg image should upload. Some of us will not use 3rd party sites because viewing the image might result in an infection of OUR computers.

When did the problems begin?
Can you associate the onset of the problems to the addition or removal of hardware or software, to include an update to Windows or your antivirus program? Have you run a registry cleaner recently? I am NOT suggesting that you run a reg cleaner.

Did the problems you describe at the same time?

Which version of Windows? If XP, which version of XP? Which service pack? The more information you provide, the sooner and more likely will we be able to help you resolve your problems.

Which virus detection and spyware detection programs have you run?

RF123

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

This is a family site. Please edit your post to remove some of the terms you use.

Please use the "go advanced" button to attach your screen shot. A .jpg image should upload. Some of us will not use 3rd party sites because viewing the image might result in an infection of OUR computers.
I second that.

Sup, i'm new here, couldn't find the right catagory for my problem, so dont hate me for this.

My problem: Well, I have two actually. The first is basically when I open my Task Manager function, it doesnt show the tabs (processes, cpu memory etc) it doesnt show that, just all of my current processes...
Task Manager is running in Tiny Footprint mode. Double click the top "border" -- not the actual window border you would grab to resize, but the gray area between that and the column headings. You can use the right and left arrow keys to change tabs when in Tiny Footprint Mode.

Task Manager Menu Bar and Tabs Are Not Visible in Windows XP

...Now the second problem is when I click on the system > general tab to find my computer specs, it only shows how much RAM I have, not my processor, vid card and all that jazz...
The general tab will only show CPU Name, Speed, and amount of RAM. This article explains where it's read from, and other utilities to see those values:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888282

Your BIOS may have a setting to disable the CPUID string, so the name won't be displayed, but I would think it would still display speed. Do any of the other methods in that article show the CPU name and speed?

For the other items in the system, use Device Manager or one of these:
System Info Tools
Everest
BelArc Advisor

HTH

Jerry

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Thanks for the screen shot.

Interesting, T O.
I was not aware of mini mode.

"my dad wants me to write down EVERYTHING about my computer"
Start > run
delete contents of long, skinny, white box
type: msinfo32
left click "ok"

If you need to widen a column, put your pointer on the vertical bars in the header column. See attachment. When you have a double headed arrow, how down your left mouse button. Move the mouse & pointer left or right, to change the width.

The system information utility will hopefully open.
On the right, you will see a lot of information about your computer.
Avoid the urge to click on "action", then "print". Usually hundreds of pages of information will print.

RF123

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gunna go to bed, i'll read up in a few hours, ty guys for your efforts, I appreciate it.

So, when I do that MSinfo32 thing, it tells me to click on my processor tab. The only tabs there are, are as follows:
System SUmmary
+ Hardware Resources
+ Components
+ Software Environment
+ Internet Settings
+ Applications

It also says when I click on System Summary: "Can't Collect Information, Cannot access the Windows management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing.

Processor is not under any of these tabs.

Method 2, this is the message I get:
My Computer Information - Hardware

Not found

9% (collecting Local Disk information)

My guess is that Windows needs a certain file to retrieve this information from, and it appears to be gone/moved?? I don't mean to sound like a pest, I just want this upgrade >.<

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Start > run
delete contents of long, skinny, white box
type: msconfig
left click "ok"

The system configuration utility will open.
Is the computer in normal, selective or diagnostic startup?
If in selective or diagnostic startup, click on each tab except boot.ini
Which items are unchecked?

Feel free to provide screen shots.

RF123

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Sounds like the WMI service might not be running. Could be because of selective startup, so check that first as rainforest123 has outlined.

You can check that by clicking Start | Run then type services.msc and click OK. Scroll down the list to Windows Management Instrumentation. It should be started and have a Startup Type of Automatic. If it doesn't show as started, right click and choose start to see if it will, or if it gives an error. If it starts, try msinfo32 again.

@rainforest123
I finally tracked down pictures of the "resize/splitter" mouse pointers, attached below. Makes it easy to explain the "when your mouse pointer changes to the resize pointer" part. feel free to grab them.

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything is checked, when I uncheck everything (except boot.ini) everything is unchecked also.

WMI was turned off, i started it and made it automatic (through properties)

When I do MSinfo32 I get the same error:
"Can't Collect Information, Cannot access the Windows management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing."

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
SS:
RATS!

Please follow these instructions from #7, above.
You can check that by clicking Start | Run then type services.msc and click OK. Scroll down the list to Windows Management Instrumentation. It should be started and have a Startup Type of Automatic. If it doesn't show as started, right click and choose start to see if it will, or if it gives an error. If it starts, try msinfo32 again.

RF123

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Also make sure that Event Log and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) are running and set to Automatic.

Also try this.
  1. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
  2. Click Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems.
  3. In the Tools list, click Network Diagnostics, and then click Scan your system
See if that will run, or if you get WMI errors.

Jerry

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
SS:
If, after running T O's instructions you still have problems, please boot to safe mode, and try to run msinfo32.

As soon as the computer starts or re-starts, begin tapping the F8 key once a second until you are at the Windows boot menu. Select "safe mode" using the up / down arrow keys. Press "enter".
Acknowledge that your computer is running in safe mode.

Start
run
type: msinfo32
Left click "ok".
Report the results.

Download 'Hijack This!
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

*Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.

Restart your computer.

*Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
*By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
*Click on Install.
*It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
*Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
*Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log *should open in notepad.
The log is generally saved in C:\program files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
*Click on "File". Click on "save as". Save the file as "date"_HJT

Select & copy the log.
Paste it in a reply.

I don't think, at this point, that you have malware. I would like to see it all of your services have started.

RF123

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I now have an XP system in a Virtual Machine that has the same symptoms; it only displays RAM on the System Properties General Tab, and msinfo32 won't run. This is a system I've been trying to get working using WINNER from SYS Angel to do an unattended Network install.
It has numerous other issues:
  • Services set to automatic won't start at boot, but can be manually started
  • Missing Services:
    • Windows Update
    • BITS
    • Help and Support
    • System Restore
  • Help and Support not installed
  • MSCONFIG and MSINFO32 don't work. The files are there, but the path to the executable was never put in the registry, neither were the dll/ocx files registered
  • WMI doesn't work -- Error is RPC Server is not available
Here's what I've done to get msinfo32 to work:
  • Re-installed System Restore - sr.inf
  • Re-Installed Help and Support - pchealth.inf and tshoot.inf
  • Re-installed msinfo32 - msinfo32.inf
  • Manually re-installed WMI
  • Wrote a script to start services at log on
The key seems to be the DCOM Server Process Launcher. Trying to start this manually fails, leaving services.msc showing this as starting rather than started. This seems to be common with this service - it doesn't like to be manually started, but actually is working despite the error message that it couldn't start -- msinfo32 starts working after attempting to start this.
DCOM not starting may be related to the msblaster infection. Posting a HijackThis log in the Malware Forum might not be a bad idea. Your AV/AS software may have cleaned the infection, but the damage may have already been done.

And so far, the easiest solution I've found is to do a clean install of the OS after backing up your data.:(

To quickly see which services are running, enter the following into a command prompt, or a run box:
sc query |find /i "name" >output.txt && notepad output.txt

Services that are not running can be found with this:
sc query state= inactive |find /i "name" >output.txt && notepad output.txt

HTH

Jerry

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
T O:
Bummer.

Did you try sfc /scannow or a repair installation.

I agree with your assessment.

It might be worthwhile, SS, to click on the red / white triangle and ask a moderator to transfer this thread to the malware removal forum. There may be some malware lurking, gumming up the works. But, you may be in for a re-format, re-install. After, as T O noted, backing up your data.

I use Acronis True Image [ www.acronis.com ] to clone my HDDs to other HDDs.
Hard Disk Drive

RF123

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
rrf123, forgot to mention that sfc won't run either (don't remember the exact error)

And the Signature Verification utility (%windir%\system32\sigverif.exe) finds about 80 files that it says are not digitally signed by Microsoft. Those files are all byte for bye the same as on a working XP install, and when copied to a working XP install pass the signature verification test, which makes me suspect me he's hacked/corrupted the sigverif.exe file or it's database.

I'm sure a repair install would fix it. Not sure what this guy did, but he brands your installs with his logo (boot screen, screen saver, System Properties) without telling you he's doing that, and even hides which linux distro he's using for the pxe boot. Makes me suspicious of the whole install.

Only looking at WINNER cause I'm trying to help another member who wants to do a network install without having a Windows server to run RIS, and WinPE doesn't seem to work for him. Been educational to say the least.

At least I have a totally messed up system to troubleshoot, which can be quite educational.

Just glad it's all in fun, on a virtual machine, and not in a production environment with the higher ups breathing down my neck:eek:

Jerry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.