Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to build a friend a computer, but he asked that I replace the hardware inside of his existing tower to save him the cost of a brand new one. However, when I've looked up specs on the eMachines W3107, it just states that the form factor is "Tower"... which doesn't help me at all.

I don't build desktops on the regular, although I have finished a few recently. So I'm a bit unsure on this one and wanted to get some input from you guys.

· Registered
8,476 Posts
Most OEM cases are cut for the motherboards they contain. So while the case may use a standard size motherboard, the opening in the rear of the case are specific to that motherboard. Aftermarket cases use a removable panel which is supplied with the new motherboard. You could still use that case, but you will likely end up cutting/drilling the case for the new motherboard to fit, which will be an eyesore and impede proper airflow.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most OEM cases are cut for the motherboards they contain. So while the case may use a standard size motherboard, the opening in the rear of the case are specific to that motherboard. Aftermarket cases use a removable panel which is supplied with the new motherboard. You could still use that case, but you will likely end up cutting/drilling the case for the new motherboard to fit, which will be an eyesore and impede proper airflow.
Gotcha. Thanks so much for the information man! Very helpful!

· Trusted Advisor
86,028 Posts
The eMachines W3107 desktop is over 10 years old and was a budget model.

If your friend is going to invest in a new motherboard, processor, RAM, power supply, etc., he might as well invest in a new and more modern tower case.

--------------------------------------------------------------

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Realistically, eMachines were total crappy and cheap builds, not even the case and psu are worth re-using; you would be much better off looking through the DIY kits on Newegg.
There are great deals for all budgets.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The eMachines W3107 desktop is over 10 years old and was a budget model.

If your friend is going to invest in a new motherboard, processor, RAM, power supply, etc., he might as well invest in a new and more modern tower case.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Yep. Agreed. Just recommended that as well and I think they're going to go ahead and go for it. Thanks again man!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.