Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you just upgrade to Win7 32 bit you will be no further ahead, it will not see your 4GB Ram, you would have to do a Clean Install to Win 7 64 bit.
Note: You cannot upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit.

Good luck
Ray

·
Registered
256 Posts
No major kinks with Windows 7, it's much better/smoother/secure than Vista. Plus it runs alot better on your current hardware. You shouldn't have any problems. However, Ray is correct. You must do a clean install of Win7 x64 in order to take full advantage of the memory you have.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
what do i look for when i want to get Win7 x64 bit? and how much would it cost? and can i do that with my current pc that has the 32bit?
the first step is buying a computer that is 64bit, no you can't run 64bit on a 32bit computer. As for W7, IMO the best windows yet.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
the first step is buying a computer that is 64bit, no you can't run 64bit on a 32bit computer. As for W7, IMO the best windows yet.
What? A 64-bit computer?? All computers purchased in the last several years will support a 64-bit operating system just fine. Don't tell people to run out and spend money unless you know it's necessary. Very bad advice.

Windows 7 retail (not OEM) versions come with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions either on the same disk or on two disks.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
What? A 64-bit computer?? All computers purchased in the last several years will support a 64-bit operating system just fine. Don't tell people to run out and spend money unless you know it's necessary. Very bad advice.

Windows 7 retail (not OEM) versions come with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions either on the same disk or on two disks.
are you drunk??

read his question jack-wagon, jeesh

"what do i look for when i want to get Win7 x64 bit? and how much would it cost? and can i do that with my current pc that has the 32bit? "

·
Registered
16 Posts
wilson44512 said:
and can i do that with my current pc that has the 32bit?
Thinking that he meant he had a 32-bit processor is forgivable in this case :(.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

my system says it can use 64bit. and i wanted to know the price of getting windows 7 64bit
good for you, check newegg.com and surf around there for w7, I believe they will be the cheapest, when you do get the os it will default to the 64bit version upon installation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
N.B. That is the OEM version. I think what you want is the retail version, since your computer wasn't built for Windows 7, therefore it did not come with a key for Windows 7, right?

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
The links posted are for OEM versions which are not at all the same as what you'd buy at Wal-Mart which are retail versions. As I noted previously, a retail version will include both 32-bit and 64-bit options. An OEM version will only include one or the other.

Also, with an OEM version, you can only install it on ONE computer. If you get a new computer later or replace the motherboard on yours, you'll have to buy another Windows 7 license. You will not be able to use an OEM license on a different system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.