Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My nephews computer has aol, (windows XP) and he doesn't have the green light modem indicator showing when sys is downloading, that windows, or my modem has in the start bar. We want to put it on his system so he can be aware of what is happening with the modem.

Isn't this a download program? Does anyone know the name of it and where I can get it?

I thought in years past I had seen it as greenlights.exe, but I can't find it now. I searched my computer, but only found a lights, and not sure what that does.

Thanks,

Yahoos.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I know that some modem softwares provide a system tray icon that looks like a box with a red light/green light that flash; Win XP has the two monitors that flash back and forth as data is transferred. You can get that by going into Control Panel>Network connections, if you find an AOL icon in there, right click it, go to Properties and on the first tab, at the bottom, you'll see a check box "show icon in notification area when connected"....

But not sure how AOL sets things up....

MBN

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
HI< AOL does not use the green blinking lights....

MOST other standard dialup connections will have the option.

If you hold your mouse cursor tip over the lower right tray AOL icon, it will show "Connection Enabled" but that's all.
Though there may be downloads you can get that will put some kind of notification lights on for you.... the standard lights you are thinking of are part of the modem driver, or perhaps Windows Dial Up Networking.......

Here is one thing you can try, I have not, and know absolutley nothing about it.....whether it may or may not contain anything harmful, I can't say, but you can search around for others like it, or more about this one with Google.....
May not work---- again, because AOL is so proprietary....
modemlights.exe
http://nocturnalnetwork.com/modemlights.htm

When you are downloading, there is usually a progress bar, indicating the time left, amount of file left to delivier.....I dont really know why you need any lights at all?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I decided to try this modemlights, and all it does is make your lights on your keyboard flash, also quite sinisterly, for a file of 14kb uses 100% cpu usage. It is now gone.

I was also looking for the same option as yahoos, after new modem and xp upgrade, I had no icon. I got a few suggestions from the forum..................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.