Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the lookout for a Firewire drive, say around 80GB as I only have a small internal drive in my laptop. I have a quick question...

Do they all come with a 'through' firewire slot...? ie: can I connect further firewire devices to it piggy-backed on this...???

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Some laptop do and some don't have Firewire. What make and model laptop do you have?

You can find out yourself but doing an Internet search and entering the make, model, and the key word: specs

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I've seen the small 2.5" Firewire externals with only one connection. OTOH, I have three of the 3.5" USB/Firewire external drives from two different makers, and all have the dual Firewire connections for daisy-chaining additional devices.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a Firewire port on the Laptop, but what I am wondering is if I connect an external Firewire drive to this port, do the the external drives themselves come with a Firewire port on the rear of them so I can connect a further firewire device to that as a 'piggy-backed' device. This is one of the advantages of firrewire and USB i.e. you can daisy chain devices...

i.e. Laptop firewire > External Drive > rear of external drive firewire port > iPod et al....

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I would swear that I just answered the question! :rolleyes: Yes, most of the 3.5" models will have two Firewire connections.

Dan O, did you click on the Buy it Now link? It comes up with a message that says they're no longer available from them. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.