Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
The species in my photo is a plain old grasshopper (Orthoptera: Acrididae) which burst into abundance in late june or early july . They are mainly plant eaters and can cause considerable damage to crops in the western provinces.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The name FBH has a number of interpretations but since this is a family forum we will call it a Fairly Big Hammer.

Ps. I really let him go as he is quite harmless. Fossils have been found of this insect that are millions of years old with no real difference to the ones alive today.

·
Registered
693 Posts
xgerryx said:
The name FBH has a number of interpretations but since this is a family forum we will call it a Fairly Big Hammer.

Ps. I really let him go as he is quite harmless. Fossils have been found of this insect that are millions of years old with no real difference to the ones alive today.
:D [email protected]
In other words, New Zealand version of the cockroach? :eek:

jjb

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Anyone know what Britains biggest insect is? I'm trying to find out on the net and can't find it. I'm talking insects here - those things in this thread so far are reptiles or birds or something, maybe small mammals even. If they showed up in Britain they'd be extinct before you could say "flyspray, insecticide, fbh, fire, anything, I don't care just kill 'em"
;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Canterbury. Don't have wetas around our way, unfortunately. :)

At Christmas time last year one of the kids found a big dead weta when we were on holiday at Kaikoura and carried her pride and joy around in a little empty icecream tub container. At the end of the week she made the big mistake of leaving it outside on the terrace while she went indoors to fetch something. Yes, you can guess what happened next - the greedy seagull eyeing it up grabbed its opportunity, snatched it and took off with it!

Poor kid, she chased the thief which made the bird drop it in fright into the neighbour's garden but the weta was never found again. :(

Poor weta. :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.