Tech Support Guy banner

Look on the bright side

2784 Views 60 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Tipacanoe
Me?

I'm happy they didn't get the Statue of Liberty or the Washington Monument or Lincoln Memorial or The "Wall."

What are you happy they missed?
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
My house!
<- - see location
I agree. If they had gotten the wall or lady liberty... that would have been a "hit below the belt". Unfortunately I do not think we have seen the last of the attacks. I do not think there will be another attack quite as massive as the NYC, DC, & PA attacks. However a car bomb outside CNN Atlanta, or at one of the DC monuments, or even the Golden Gate Bridge is quite possible. Not to mention the Anthrax scares. I know security and the military is on heightened alert, but who knows what will happen next. We are all scared and/or nervous about what is next. However, you are absolutely right, we all need to be thankful for what we do have. Even the unfortunate victims families can still be grateful for what they have left, God & family. Personally I am glad I live in a reasonably small city, and I don't plan on traveling for a while.
God bless us all.
Stay strong!
I'm glad they missed the mark and underestimated the US's resolve.

Now let's show'em how wrong they were.

mole
Originally posted by mole
I'm glad they missed the mark and underestimated the US's resolve.

Now let's show'em how wrong they were.

mole
Because Bil Laden's folks only read the Koran, they missed the Pearl Harbor lesson we taught Japan.
If "they" had hit any of the " National Treasures " Mr Kirkland has mentioned , perhaps many lives would have been saved ! So you are "HAPPY" they missed places unpopulated, lucky for us only 5 or 6 "THOUSAND PEOPLE" had to die so our ideals could live!Personally, I would just as soon see all of our landmarks destroyed if those those poor souls could see the light of this mornings sun.
The one and ONLY good thing that has come from this attack is the silent majority and the spine of the American people has been reborn, there is absolutely NOTHING to be "HAPPY" about, but, there are 5000+ things to mourn about...Rhett...have a "HAPPY" day
Kirkland - for an intelligent guy, that seems a pretty dumb question.
They hit the world's two biggest symbols of international business. It's not just about the US, but about the whole western world.

I'm happy they missed everything that they did not hit - the Empire State building, anglin_fool's house, my girlfriend's sister and her family in Boston, Robert Deniro, Gator World, my 12 year old Volkswagen, the Arc de Triumphe, Newcastle United's football stadium, the cast of Cheers, the Taj Mahal, the Taj Mahal Indian restaurant in Bradford, the little sandwich shop where I buy my lunch, downtown Tokyo, my mum's dog, the Denver Broncos, the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, Jackie Chan, all of the innocent oppressed civillians in Afghanistan, all of the misguided fundamentalists who have a niggling doubt that what they're doing is very wrong, all of you guys, all of my people, all the people and places I have ever known, seen, read about or listened to, or may have the good fortune to know in the future.

In short, I'm glad they missed almost all of everyone and everything everywhere with very, very few exceptions.

And some of those things may still be hit in the coming weeks and months.

Gram
See less See more
I am certainly grateful that they didn't do more damage than what they did, but the devastation they caused, and may still cause, just doesn't summon up any 'happy' feelings in me. I do however thank God that they did miss their other targets.
Originally posted by rhettman5
If "they" had hit any of the " National Treasures " Mr Kirkland has mentioned , perhaps many lives would have been saved ! So you are "HAPPY" they missed places unpopulated, lucky for us only 5 or 6 "THOUSAND PEOPLE" had to die so our ideals could live!Personally, I would just as soon see all of our landmarks destroyed if those those poor souls could see the light of this mornings sun.
The one and ONLY good thing that has come from this attack is the silent majority and the spine of the American people has been reborn, there is absolutely NOTHING to be "HAPPY" about, but, there are 5000+ things to mourn about...Rhett...have a "HAPPY" day
You took my question wrong. I too am aware of the dead and dying. I too grieve for my cousin and the others lost in the strikes.

To me, striking out at the nation's center of business or our military is one thing. Those buildings can be rebuilt or repaired.
But the image of Lady Liberty laying in the harbor would have made ~me~ strike out, not wait for the military to express my anger. I mean ~me~, actually ~hurting~ someone.

Psychologically, Lady Liberty is worth ~much more~ than the Twin Towers or the Pentagon and the lives lost that day; such a strike would have truly been a strike at our national ~soul~.
Are you honestly saying that the Statue of Liberty, as great as it is and for what it stands for, is worth more than the 5000+ lives lost .

If so then you really don't seem to put much value on human life.

:(
Kirkland said:
Psychologically, Lady Liberty is worth ~much more~ than the Twin Towers or the Pentagon and the lives lost that day
Well, as I'm in the UK, I guess I don't have that sense of patriotism about the symbols of the US (nor would I about an English equivalent). I see it from the other way round - to me as an outsider (psychologically if you like) the people killed and injured and the attack on the symbols of western business constituted a wider and more potent statement than would an attack on the Statue of Liberty.
The attacks of Sept 11 were not just against the US.
If the Statue of Liberty had been hit (and no other targets), would the US have rallied as many allies across the world?

Gram
Originally posted by Gram123
"Well, as I'm in the UK, I guess I don't have that sense of patriotism about the symbols of the US (nor would I about an English equivalent)."

Perhaps England has no such symbol(s).

"I see it from the other way round - to me as an outsider (psychologically if you like) the people killed and injured and the attack on the symbols of western business constituted a wider and more potent statement than would an attack on the Statue of Liberty."

Not to ~us~. Perhaps the Statue of Liberty was too small for their rookie pilots to hit. As to "Symbols of business" (WTC) being attacked. We mourn the loss in lives but I notice, as perhaps you have, "business" is doing business as usual, though it took them a few days to sort out the telephone switching so stock market buy and sell orders could be confirmed. "Business" will survive, as has already been proven.
Even the lives lost were mere cogs in the gears of business. Almost without exception, the firms lost in the world trade center had papers and files stored on computers elsewhere.
The survivors picked themselves up, dusted themselves off, held memorials and carried on with their...business.
My six-figure earning sister's Insurance firm merely moved to Brooklyn.
* The only problem they're having now is waiting for the rest of their new telephone system to be installed.

"The attacks of Sept 11 were not just against the US.
If the Statue of Liberty had been hit (and no other targets), would the US have rallied as many allies across the world?"

Oh, where's ~your~ torn down buildings? None?
Oh, I see, you're speaking metaphorically.

No, but then, we probably would have only asked others to join us; and only ~once~, then gone on with our plans, the hell with the rest of the world.
While there were people from 80 nations killed in the WTC towers when they fell, they fell on ~our~ streets, killed ~our~ firefighters, police and public safety officers. The dastardly wounds were (are) to ~us~ alone (again) and I'm certain to a degree I've never been before, that our aircraft would stil be over Afghanistan, bombing Taliban with or without the help of others.
*Unlike others, we have long memories of sneak attacks, unlike those nations who have never suffered the gravity of a September 11, 2001 or December 7, 1941.
*I know, we've also never suffered war losses others nations have-except in men and women who, having answered freedom's call, traveled thousands of miles to make the extreme sacrifice, spilled American blood many times to save or restore freedom to nations who seemed to be then, or have been later, utterly ungrateful.
**Of course I wouldn't be so crass or gauche as to mention the tens of BILLIONS of dollars in military aid and human comfort we've freely given to nations at war with someone else (or each other).

Thanks England for your unwavering, unequivocal support.
See less See more
Well, no matter how much education one has,
apparently "common sense" can't be learned...:rolleyes:
Kirkland said:
I guess not. Nothing that I would say stood for Britain. But then, what I meant was that even if we did have, I would still not mourn it's loss above thousands of lives.

I said:
"I see it from the other way round - to me as an outsider (psychologically if you like) the people killed and injured and the attack on the symbols of western business constituted a wider and more potent statement than would an attack on the Statue of Liberty."
And Kirkland repsponded:
Not to ~us~.
Who does this "~us~" consist of? Americans? If you think your view is representative of the American viewpoint, that all (or most) other Amerians would rate the Statue of Liberty higher than the WTC and all of those inside when the attacks occurred, you are sadly mistaken. Ask some people in your country, your town, your place of work, and see if they all agree with you. Read the other responses to this thread and look at where the respondants are from.

Kirkland said:
As to "Symbols of business" (WTC) being attacked. We mourn the loss in lives but I notice, as perhaps you have, "business" is doing business as usual, though it took them a few days to sort out the telephone switching so stock market buy and sell orders could be confirmed. "Business" will survive, as has already been proven.
The attacks were physical (toward the people), and symbolic (towards Western business). Of course business will carry on - money is a great motivator. I don't mourn lost business, but the attacks were a statement against Western economics, how the West conducts business, and the effect this has had on the middle east. Do you think the WTC was chosen simply because it was a big enough target? If so, they could have attacked any number of structures.
Or do you think it was simply because there were thousands of people inside? If so, they could have hit a football stadium, or Disneyland or whatever. No. They attacked the WTC, because they knew the world would sit up and take notice.

Even the lives lost were mere cogs in the gears of business.
No. They were "cogs in the gears of business", true, but is that all they were? No. They were people. Like you.

the hell with the rest of the world.
It is that sort of insular, egocentric attitude that you need to lose.

The dastardly wounds were (are) to ~us~ alone (again)
Well, you tell that to the families of the people who died from the other 79 nations.

Gram
See less See more
Thanks England for your unwavering, unequivocal support.
What are you trying to say with this? Please clarify.

Gram
Kirkland

America can be proud of itself and all its people. I count them among the best, most social, most humanitarian people on the face of this Earth (except for Yorkshire folk, of course). But you, Kirkland....you.......

What's all this?
Perhaps England has no such symbol(s). Have you ever visited and looked around England?

Oh, where's ~your~ torn down buildings? None? This is just too crass a statement to answer.

the hell with the rest of the world. Yeah, right.

*Unlike others, we have long memories of sneak attacks, unlike those nations who have never suffered the gravity of a September 11, 2001 or December 7, 1941. Eh! Did I hear you right? Do you actually know anything about any nation? Obviously not.
You just can't help yourself, can you?

jrob

See less See more
It doesn't compare with ground zero Nagasaki.
Kirkland

Irony just isnt in your vocabulary.

Yes you should be happy that "they" missed the monuments you mentioned in the original thread, but the majority of humanity would have prefered all the monuments of the world to be torn down rather than the waste of just one human life, let alone thousands.

If you cannot see that, then there may be no hope for any of us!

As it is, i'm not sure that there is much hope.

iamnotanidiot
Kikland how come you take the time to start a stupid thread and trust me I would bet the bank that everyone here agrees it is stupid.
They (the bad guys) did not miss a damn thing and the only plane that missed it's intended target (and we can only guess at what that might have been) hit the ground very fast and very hard and everyone in the plane died too.
I guess we can breathe a sigh of relief because that plane didn't hit "A Monument" Is this the Bright side? Geeeeeeez Prior to reading this I actually had given you more credit.
What are you thinking about anyway? Better yet what is your point?

HERE IS A NEWS BULLETIN KIRKLAND, THERE IS NO BRIGHT SIDE! Period end of story.

DS
Kirkland said:
Off the top of my head, I'll give you three:
1. Buckingham Palace
2. Tower of London
3. Big Ben
An attack by airplane on any of the three, while most likely not resulting in 5,000+ deaths, would be a deep psychological blow to England (and would piss this American off to no end!).

Tipacanoe----As between the estimated losses of 100,000+ American soldiers to invade Japan and the civilian losses at Nagasaki I'll take the loss of the civilians over the American G.I.'s any day. The fanatical belief in the Emperor and the military rulers of Japan lead the civilians to their own destruction. There belief in the superiority of their race and the god like belief in the deity of the Emperor caused the use of two such bombs. Why didn't they surrender after the first bomb? They knew we could hit any city at any time.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.