Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is from my son. As you can see, he is about at his wit's end. Can anyone help us?

Thanks in advance:

I was installing a Logitech videocam, and stopped in the middle of the install (got through the vidoe section, but not the audio). It was a few days after that that I noticed the sound no longer worked. I have since finished the install, but didn't uninstall first........

Last night I found the sound test wizard through the online help (control panel, sounds and audio devices)

Volume - nothing is on mute
Speaker volume is on monitor and set to defaults
Audio - all boxes are set to 'SB Audigy Audio (C800) and the default box is checked
Voice - set to the same things, then there is a test hardware that when ran, it tells me that they is something wrong with the hardware.....
Hardware - there is a troubleshoot section here, I ran through all the suggestions (took over an hour), and couldn't find anyhting there either......

So, for now, I'm at a loss......

Me too.

·
Super Moderator
37,537 Posts
Hiya

When you looked in the Volume settings, did you look at all the volumes?

Doubleclick the speaker icon near the clock. Options | properties. Make sure all boxes are ticked, OK. Then make sure none are muted, and the balences are all in the middle.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eddie:
I apologize for not answering sooner.
He had already checked the settings and just about everything that can be except for the card itself, and that may be the problem.
The sound system is all internal with no exposed jacks, etc. (The microphone and speaker system is "embedded" in the monitor area). I also found out he was attempting to load a video camera when this all happened. Last evening I told him to try the headphones in the jack that may be on the back of the unit with the modem board (which shouldn't be affected, I don't believe). If the sound works there, then his board is dead (again, I think).

I didn't realize his was an all internal speaker/microphone problem, otherwise a quick shortcut test would be to test the sound thru the modem. If all he has is a modem and no sound jacks, then he is in deep yogurt.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
37,537 Posts
That's okay, bit late myself :)

Any news on what you were going to try? If not, lets have a look at the Sound chip, as its onboard.

Go to Control panel | System. Device Manager.

Look for the Sound, and see if there are any yellow !'s or red X's in there. Also, under Sound will be the full name of the chip. Then, rightclick and choose Properties, Driver tab. Whats the version?

Also, the version of Windows.

eddie

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eddie:

Guess what. The monitor has two USB ports along the edge as well as an input jack, and he used one of them Wednesday evening and the sound worked. Also, he did have a conflict in the device manager before he found this port.

Your advice is very good and will be followed because whatever happened on his install is still a problem that needs to be resolved.

Thanks again.

Dick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.