Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ever since I got my Systemax desktop and compelled to use that quirky WinME my compu-life has become enormously complicated and frustrating. Even after a full week on the phone with an MS/Redmond geek, all MS could do was send me a brand new CD for the full-boot-up version of WinME, in lieu of the bargain-basement upgrade-only version I bought from Atomic for only $60 (Anybody interested...?).

True, the new CD did eventually solve many of my big problems, after infinite tweaking/reloading sessions, but there is one problem remaining for which I have no clue and no hope of obtaining assistance from MS via the 'Net:

EVERY time I try to access any MS Site, other than the Windows Update Page from which I have downloaded EVERY possible update/upgrade and driver with the exception of IE6 (which I can download after an hour or so but cannot ever install past 68% of the program! It took 11 hours to download and install the IE5.5 Service Pack 2 on my 1GHz machine... some "speedy" processor!), I get the following irritating error message:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Thus, I am prevented from going to the tech-bulletin pages and other locations where I might be able to read or talk/type my way out of difficulty. What causes this blockage of access? Something about "credentials"? More importantly, HOW do I overcome these deficiencies, especially when after repeated scans of both this Systemax desktop as well as my Compaq 1200 lapdog by the MS Update Page no cited deficiencies are ever disclosed? Does anyone out there think this lock-out is related to the above-mentioned problem of slow/no-installation of IE6 and the IE5.5 SP2?

HELP!!!

·
Super Moderator
37,526 Posts
Hiya and Welcome

lets start with a few things. First, have you emptied your Tempory Internet Files lately? Tools | Internet Options. General tab, under Tempory Internet Files, click Delete Files. DON'T delete offline material.

Also, do you defrag? This may be wise.

Also, lets try a repair.

Control Panel | AddRemove. Doubleclcik Microsoft Internet Explorer. Choose Repair, apply and restart.

If no joy, let us know.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the prompt reply. I tried twice earlier to reply to you, but I got trapped in this Site's endless loop of log-in/submit. I'm new... what can I do?

No Luck is the short answer to all of your suggestions. IE refuses to repair itself... says to reinstall, but I'm too jaded at this point to think that will get me anywhere. I've reinstalled the whole OS at least 7 times on each of my 2 computers! IE comes up the same crippled way each time and the Windows Updates do not cure whatever is wrong with the program, provided I can download/install anything in the first place! Frustrating? What do YOU think!

Yes, I de-frag every 2 weeks or anytime I get more than 2% congested, and before doing so I ERASE EVERYTHING in Temp-caches. My "computer hygiene" is impeccable....

What else ya got? ANYONE!

·
Super Moderator
37,526 Posts
Okay

Have a go with this.

Start | Find Files and Folders. Type in Hosts and press enter. Your're looking for a file just called Hosts with no file extension. You'll find files named ImHosts.sam and Hosts.sam but they aren't what your looking for.

Do you see a file called just Hosts? If so, close all instances of IE and then rename it Hosts.old.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed,

You're a certified GENIUS! I cannot count how many help-sites I've been to with that problem-- even MS Central, Level 2-- with no concept of what even the problem was, to say nothing of a meaningful solution. Thanx again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, Ed,

Now that you got that thorny one solved so easily, maybe you can dispatch THIS one with equal prowess:

Granted that I can now access all MS sites, I cannot successfully DOWNLOAD all patches and updates. For example, it took me 17.5 hours to download/install IE6 on my lapdog, and I have NEVER been able to install IE6 on my desktop even after 31 hours of stalling with the CPU running at 100%!!! The download occurs fine-- all 12 times I tried it! However, the Installation never progresses beyond 68% completion no matter how long I wait. Yes, I've restarted every way you're going to recommend and done all the good-housekeeping stuff you'll ask about, so don't bother. This, as was the case before, takes some REGEDIT or file-deletion trick like you came up with before.

Last update I was succesful in downloading/installing was WinME Critical Update from Oct., 2001, which took 13 hours to install!!! By way of contrast, I have never been able to install Critical Update from April, 2001 (which the MS Scanner still claims I need) even after 31 hours of frustrating delay and processor runaway. What could this be...? And HOW do I defeat it?

·
Super Moderator
37,526 Posts
Hiya

30 Hours!!! Blimey

Okay, lets have a look here. First off, have you emptied your Tempory Internet Files? Tools | Internet Options. General tab, and under Delete Files, DON'T delete offline content.
Also, have you defragged lately?

Now, something for me to be going on with. :p

Go to Run and type MSINFO32
On the left choose Software Enviroment, then Startup Programs. Copy/paste the list here.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hi Seravilo,Go back to the dialog box for IE and instead of repair,put a tick in add a component.Follow the prompts,and select Internet Explorer Browser,ignore the warning and re-install it anyway.Now run the repair and see if it will run cleanly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eddie,

Here's what came up on the Start-Ups:

BullsEye Browser Button "c:\program files\bullseye\program\beqwkbtn.exe" /d10 .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
BullsEye Fast Load c:\progra~1\bullseye\program\befastld.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
DU Meter c:\program files\du meter\dumeter.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
IE New Window Maximizer c:\program files\ie new window maximizer\ieneww~1.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Iomega Drive Icons c:\program files\iomega\driveicons\imgicon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Iomega Startup Options c:\program files\iomega\common\imgstart.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton Auto-Protect c:\progra~1\norton~2\norton~2\navapw32.exe /loadquiet All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton eMail Protect c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton antivirus\poproxy.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Norton System Doctor c:\progra~1\norton~2\norton~1\sysdoc32.exe /startup .DEFAULT Startup
NPROTECT c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton utilities\nprotect.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
NPROTECT c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton utilities\nprotect.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
SymTray - Norton SystemWorks c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\symtray.exe "norton systemworks" All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
ZoneAlarm Pro c:\progra~1\zonela~1\zoneal~1\zapro.exe -nopopup All Users Common Startup

The Bullseye and Iomega stuff is brand new-- only added with respective upgrades in the past 2 daze and will be GONE forever once I shut down tonight. I always keep my base-running threads to a minimum (i.e., below 70 at nascent-desktop state), which means minimal [email protected] Start-Up.

One thing you should note-- which is probabl;y going to frustrate the advice you are about to give me-- is that when I foresee a program-install hang-up that is going to take more than 1 hour to load in the computer, I ALWAYS shut down EVERY other program (via CTL+ALT+DEL) except Explorer (although I did even kill this one during one of those 10-plus-hour installation marathons!) and the loading programs... threads drop into the low-50s, but to no avail.

WHAT does that tell you? I do not believe it's any conflicting base-running application 'cause I regularly shut them down both before and during marathon-level download-installations....

·
Super Moderator
37,526 Posts
Okay

First of all, have you tried beach's idea? This could help things.

Now,as for the startup. Even though you end tasks using ctrl-alt-del, these programs can still run in the background. Although, there dosen't seem to be that many, but lets have a look.

BullsEye Browser Button: What is this? Er, is this it http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/08/14/search.engine.searcher.idg/

BullsEye Fast Load: as above

DU Meter: internet bandwith monitor. Not required

IE New Window Maximizer: Interesting program http://hem.passagen.se/j-zoon/program/iemaximizer/ Up to you

Iomega Drive Icons: Used by Iomega drives. Available via Start -> Programs - not required

Iomega Startup Options: Used by Iomega drives. Available via Start -> Programs - not required

Norton Auto-Protect: Norton Anti-Virus's background scanning process. Can be inconvenient because it scans files when Run/Opened or Downloaded/Created and you can scan files manually via right-click after downloading/copying. However, in light of some of the viruses around these days it's probably best to put up with the inconvenience. Keep

Norton eMail Protect: Proxy E-mail protection from Norton Anti-Virus. If you have it installed, leave it enabled to automatically check for suspect attachments in E-mails that may contain viruses. E-mails are scanned on a proxy server before being downloaded to your system. Keep

Norton System Doctor: Norton Disk Doctor from Norton Utilities. Automatically runs at start-up, major resource hog and best started manually form Start -> Programs. Remove the shortcut in the Start -> Programs -> Startup folder as well

NPROTECT: Norton Protected Recycle Bin from Norton Utilities. Adds an extra layer of safety before you remove deleted files from the Recycled Bin. Keep

SymTray: Keeps all System Tray icons for Norton SystemWorks together to reduce clutter. SystemWorks includes Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Utilities and Norton CleanSweep - mentioned elsewhere here. Personally I only have Norton eMail Protect running which doesn't need SymTray. Up to you

ZoneAlarm Pro: Keep

Now, there are a couple that are hogging the rescources, Go to Run and type MSCONFIG, startup tab. Uncheck all that you don't want, apply and restart. If you're unsure, do each seperately, applying and restarting each time.

Regards

eddie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for my extended absence; however, the judge said that with continued exemplary behavior I should be done with parole by the middle of next year!

Now, back to the movie: I finally tried every conceivable permutation of the Beach51 and related Eddie5659 solutions and NO DICE! The OS refused to repair IE5.5, claiming ultimately that the file MSIEFTP.DLL was too old and needed to be of a more recent vintage, i.e., 5.50.4807 or better. I did a web search for that singular DLL but was unable to extract it for separate download. Nor will IE5.5 reload from my WinExplorer or off the 'Net-- the computer just goes into 100% duty-cycle ("processor-runaway," as we used to call it back at NASA) and freezes the application. Nor can I install the Critical Update from 10/29/01 or IE.60-- the computer just freezes at 66% completion, even after 34 hours of stubborn, sit-down wait time!

I'm afraid to uninstall IE5.5 for fear that I'll lose all the settings it took HOURS to craft and polish. I was successful in installing IE6 on my lapdog and have saved and imported all the settings on "Desktop DNA" but haven't had the nerve to actually install 'em on this machine.

All those background-running programs have been eliminated or have been proven harmless over the years, so that's not the answer either.

What else ya got?

·
Super Moderator
37,526 Posts
Hiya

Have you tried what beach said about the reinstalling then repairing? Its not gonna remove many of the settings that you made. Only the startup page really.

I'll rack my brains until you get back. Also, beach may have an answer. Its a bit early here: 6:50 am

eddie

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hi Seravilo,Heres a couple more things we can try.Am thinking maybe a cashe problem.Lets try thisSince this is win me,you'll need the floppy disk and boot into Dos.At the c:\prompt type

Smartdrv (hit the enter key)

Deltree/y Tempor~1
Deltree/y History
Deltree/y Cookies

Exit

Reboot the computer,now go back into Dos and at the c:\prompt type

Scanreg /Fix (notice the space between the g and / )
This will fix any registry problems.

Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
seravilo,
I had a simialr problem with IE6. I just ran IE6SETUP in about 3 minutes was working fine. Run a search on your PC for IE5SETUP and if you still have it try to run it and see where it gets you. If all else fails I have the MSIEFTP.DLL I could email you but my version is 5.50.4134.600. You could paste it in C:\Windows \System and go from there
DUTCH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I did try the repair/add/replace routine advocated by Beach51, et al. and ended up where I told you.

Now, I'm gonna try his second, registry-wipe technique with all those Deltrees, although I do regularly use RegEdit and Registry Compressor to scrub my Registry.... Hope this is something new.

Thanks to all of you who are helping me out of my dilemmas... hope it's not just Christmas-based, although whatever works.... I hope to be able to repay the favor(s) someday, even though, admittedly, you guys seem to be out of my league....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cannot count how many times I've tried to install IE6 from the icon. I even erase the whole thing and wait another 1.8 hours to re-download and STILL the result's always the same: From 3 minutes to 43 hours, the Installation never can proceed without causing a processor-runaway at 61% to 68% Completion, depending on how much of the Application I choose to install. Killing EVERY other background-running application-- once, even Explorer-- does absolutely NO GOOD!

Now, figure THAT one out!!!

P.S. How come I cannot get italics, bold, and colors to work on these li'l post-ettes? I've selected "Enhanced Mode," but hghlighting a word/phrase and then going to the Menu above does nothing to the text except sometimes inserting "" or something equally foolish at the end of my text....

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
just thought I'd mention to you that GetRight downloader may help with this as it will break up the download, pulling it together as 3 parts etc.... it will also resume if nescessary.

Savvy :)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Have you tried to do an advanced download of all the setup files?

IIRC, once you start the installer, there is an advanced option for Windows ME and 98. In there should be an option to download all the files.

This way the whole thing would be on your computer, and you would not have to do an install from the internet.

Just remembered, that you have to try to do the install minimal/customize option then do the advanced. Then you can choose download files only. It is about 22 megs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.