Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty. Everyone knows about all those new ActiveX controls that'll install LOADS of spyware and viruses to the point of no return. Well this is the third time I have to reformat the family computer and I'm getting sick of the excersize. Anyways, I'm going to start by disabling any new ActiveX downloads etc to make sure my daughter doesn't just go on a hay day but does anyone else have any tips as to ways I can keep her from getting into trouble? I remember there used to be XP policies that you could use to disable a user from making new files and stuff and was wondering if anyone had guides or tips as to using stuff like that. Basically, any tips would be appreciated as to locking down the machine to each user. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
If you do not have a firewall, it would be good to get one. And if you were to get the Pro version of Zone Alarm, it has settings that will permit you to block downloads like activeX, javascript, vbscripts, mime-type objects, executables,etc. and this option is password protected so that other users could not change the blocking. Zone Alarm has a great free firewall too, but it does not have that feature.

You could even add webfiltering to the ZAP which will actually block the types of sites others can visit. It's a thought, but you may not want to incur the cost. Check out http://zonelabs.com/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.