Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by gacooper:
I have a system that has Win Xp and Linux on it. The only problem is that i can not boot into anything other than Linux. Help please.
first...what distro are you using?

also....is your bootloader Lilo or Grub...?

on one box i dual boot Linux and XP without problems...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Easy way:
Boot into Windows with your boot floppy.
Download and install Boot Magic <www.powerquest.com>
Go to configuration. It will have reognised both OS Just add and make one
of them default,follow your nose really.
Reboot normally. At the BootMagic screen just select the OS you want.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have installed both XP and Suse on my IBM A31p Notebook with ZERO problems. Here is how I did it:

1. XP having already been installed, needs to have the disk cleanup and defrag ran to clean up the "trash" and stick the files to the front of the HDD. This is a VERY important step. Restart with SUSE 9 CD or DVD in drive.

2. Installation instructions with give you a chance to install SUSE beside XP (FAT or NTFS). It will adjust existing partitions (including the hidden recovery partition, if you have one so be careful), and useually split the difference by default.

3. You may want to lower the linux partition and give yourself about 3-4 times the amount of RAM you have for a Linux Swap file. Think of this as adding more memory for your computer though it is actually HDD space. This is a watered down answer but it pays off. The example is say I have 512MB of RAM, then I create a 1.5GB Swap partition.

4. Once you get the partitioning correct, and by following the defaults you'll be pretty safe, it's smooth sailing from there. Honestly, this is about as simple as it gets, as I was able to pull it off without ever having installed Linux before. (Of course I had printed instructions basically outlining the above).

Enjoy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.