Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hmm well one major difference I can say, is that you can run a modern linux client based of the 2.6 kernel with a p3 500 etc, p2 266..whatever you have, and have patience for compiling. Windows you can't put xp on a p2 266, it'll tell you no way before it even tries.

Other then that you can have gui's in linux and windows, just windows its standard, linux you install the one you want (imagine that choice in your look)

Linux you also have the source code right there waiting for you to look at. It took a leak of one of windows associates to find out 1/20th of the nt/2000 source code.

Hmm what else.. you umm...use ls instead of dir ;)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It is a diffrent philosophy. Seriously, the outlook on computing in generall is completely diffrent in both camps.

In Linux, it is a free attitude, (free love of the 60s) everything good in live being costless, and efficiancy. Linux lovers love efficancy. pardon the spelling

Windows on the otherhand, you look for feature filled applications that can do everything you would ever want, all in one app. While this can be good, it leads to bloat. Bloat which is bad.

If bill had done things right with NT, concievable we could all be here espousing the benefits of an NT platform, instead of trying to leave one. Linus could still be tinkering in finland.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I enjoy it #[email protected]~ because this is my hobby,and I get satisfaction from interacting with the OS.I get the felling that I'm running the computer instead of it running me.I never get bored as there are so many things I can change.So many options and I don't have to run to the store and buy anything,everyone helps each other out as long as you are willing to do the work,as everyone has been there.The more I learn the better it gets,with no end in sight.david

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Originally posted by comprookie20:
I enjoy it #[email protected]~ because this is my hobby,and I get satisfaction from interacting with the OS.I get the felling that I'm running the computer instead of it running me.I never get bored as there are so many things I can change.So many options and I don't have to run to the store and buy anything,everyone helps each other out as long as you are willing to do the work,as everyone has been there.The more I learn the better it gets,with no end in sight.david
I agree totally. This week, just for the hell of it, i decided to wipe my system, and reinstall debian, this time making it debian unstable. It ROCKS. AA works properly finally!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ever since i settled on gentoo, I've not really been using my windows machine at all, now were talking about a gentoo machine that runs a p3 500, and a windows machine running a amd xp 2800+ and a radeon 9800 card...The only reason recently for the windows has been to play ut2004 ^.^;;

I do need to get sound running on gentoo though. Its annoying not having any sounds.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I started dual booting recently and since getting Linux online I'd never go back to using Windows.

What's the difference? Well, Linux is free, stable, customisable to the nth degree and only as complicated as you want to make it.

I'm a complete Linux newbie and found it remarkably easy to set up (using Mandrake 9.2 ), easier in fact than Windows to install and get things running (which is something we've all had to do many, many times).

Having looked around online a bit I've found a msn messenger (without the Microsoft bloat), VB environment and loads more, so you don't have to lose your 'windows only' software, just find an equivalent.

Do it and find out the diffeence for yourself.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Originally posted by B3gbie:
I started dual booting recently and since getting Linux online I'd never go back to using Windows.

What's the difference? Well, Linux is free, stable, customisable to the nth degree and only as complicated as you want to make it.

I'm a complete Linux newbie and found it remarkably easy to set up (using Mandrake 9.2 ), easier in fact than Windows to install and get things running (which is something we've all had to do many, many times).

Having looked around online a bit I've found a msn messenger (without the Microsoft bloat), VB environment and loads more, so you don't have to lose your 'windows only' software, just find an equivalent.

Do it and find out the diffeence for yourself.
I agree. Its only as complicated as you want.

For sound, its worth it to get ALSA running. It runs fine once you get it going. If ou need help, i will give all i can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
im a linux newb myself and I have installed redhat 9.0......I can honestly say gates has an empire based on a village of idiots....I never knew how constricting windows was until I decided to open my mind to linux....since then I have had a great time playing with new applications and a new way of computing not to mention a ton of new hacking tools that comes with linux;)

gates based his product on the begining user which is to his advantage to a point....but what happens when people get inquisitive and try to figure windows out and realize how unstable and cheesy it really is.........easy!...they become linux newb's!!!

I like a challenge and diggin for info...with linux take for instance my problem with getting a cd burner to run on xtoaster...it takes some digging and thinking to get it right....windows takes a click and next thing you know your using a system restore disk!!!

thank god for linux....and this concludes this infomercial...we now return you to your regular scheduled broadcast........................................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.