Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, maybe it's just the app that freezes up. This usually happens when I click on a link or something and it'll just freeze up, cursor won't move, etc. How do I force quit? I've checked the documentation I have but no mention of the key-stroke combo to perform a force quit. If that works, then it's just the apps that are freezing, not the system but I need to determine which. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my box froze up when clicking on a link like it sometimes does and I tried the force quit key stroke combination that was suggested but it didn't work. So do I have another, more serious thing going on or what? Memory perhaps? I'm just guessing here...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running Debian Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS. I suppose the code might be different for that but it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
58 Posts
im still kind of a n00b with linux but with knoppix it was using the 2.4 shell the code to run in 2.6 is knoppix26. I am on Ubuntu 6.10 right now and it runs great. I bought the magazine from barnes and noble that has the distro CD in it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw a book on Linux that I leafed through and intended on buying. But as things are always developing i wondered if it would be better to subscribe to one of the Linux mags or something. What do you guys think? And which one? I'll try running the code and I'll post back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried it but it didn't work. perhaps I didn't input it correctly. I substituted ubuntu21 where you had knoppix26, is that correct?

·
Registered
58 Posts
i would say to pick a distribution as your learning base, mine being Ubuntu, then buy a book on it and learn how to make that distribution do what you want it to do then you will either be able to do the same thing or something very similar on the other distributions but you really need a base knowledge in linux before you can really start to expand your knowledge. I would say buy the book for your distribution and the linux phrase book which has most of the command line commands in itand once your throug those you should be out of n00b status and ready for the Mags.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another alternative is ctl+alt+esc gives a skull and crossbones which you move over the app then hit enter to kill it
or go into the system with ctl-alt F4 to get a cmd line sign-in and do diag from there
ctl-alt-F7 to return

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's am AMD Celeron processor on a Compaq presario machine. Does that make a difference that it isn't an Intel chip?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well, Celeron is an Intel trademark..... You sure about that?? Ya sure it's not a Turion?

What model Compaq?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.