Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few days, I've been having problems with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router... about every 10-15 minutes I kept getting dropped from my netowrk, and would have to reconnect.

Today, I can't connect at all.

After a complete reset... holding the reset button for 30 secs, unplugging the unit while holding reset for another 30 seconds, plugging the unit back on and holding reset for another 30 seconds, it still will not connect. I get a "cannot connect" error.

I'm using Intel Proset wireles card to manage my wireless settings since the network card is the intel proset wireless 2915ABG card. Even if I switch to windows as the wireless manager, I still cannot connect.

I verified my internet connectivity by connecting direclty to the modem.

I did several modem, router and PC restarts, as well as several modem and router resets to no avail.

The router shows all lights on as would be expected with a valid internet connection.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

`bb

·
Registered
26 Posts
you may want to try seeing if your router's firmware is up to date. Since you said that you cannot connect to the router's management page you may have to assign your laptop an IP address like 192.168.1.2 or something within the same subnet. If you do find out that it is the router you may want to try the DD-WRT linux firmware for the router. I upgraded my home network from a crappy netgear router to a wrt54g with DD-WRT and I couldn't be happier.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If this doesn't result in a connection, the router is broken, assuming the modem does not require a PPPoE connection and a name/password configured.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.