Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I was hoping you could help me with a disturbing little problem I've had for a few months with my printer, a Lexmark Z615. This is the situation:

The printer was working flawlessly for about two months, and then it suddenly stopped working. Whenever I attach it to the USB port Windows (XP) tells me:

"USB Device Not Recognised - A USB device attached to this computer has malf Windows does not recognise it. Try reconnecting the device. If this does not solve the problem, replace the device."

I have looked in Device Manager and found that there is no driver installed for it. However, I have tried both to use the disk I got with the printer and download the driver and all possible updates and patches from the internet, but it just tells me that the printer must be "attached properly" for the driver to be installed, and of course that puts me in a difficult position as it won't be attached properly without the driver installed!

I have also done the following to try and help the problem:

- Reformatted Windows
- Uninstalled + reinstalled the root hubs
- Followed the Windows, Lexmark and Dell troubleshooting instructions (including going into the F2 menu at startup, where everything looked a-ok)
- Installed something which apparently has something to do with USB devices, namely infinst_enu.exe plus updates
- Exchanged the printer for a new one

and Windows is still insistant it does not recognise the device! Mind you, it did start to work a few weeks ago (I was so overjoyed I could hardly breathe), printed half a page, choked mid-way and since then has not responded. I do not think that the problem is with the printer itself though, but rather with something in my configuration or something. Could it be a virus?

Anyway, thanks for any help I get, I hope I can get this sorted!

Greetings,

Emma

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is probably a stupid question but have you tried plugging the printer into a different USB port. Your USB port may have crapped out and might be causing these problems.

Also, you could try installing the printer on another computer to see if it is your printer or your computer. I doubt that it is your printer because it's new or your configuration because you have reinstalled XP.

If the USB ports are all corrupted, you could install a USB PCI card.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.