Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canada's Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans has announced a new three-year seal-hunt quota that allows fishermen to kill 975,000 harp seals over the next three years.
"The increase comes despite evidence that the quota of 275,000 seals was unsustainable,"

http://www.hsus.org/ace/15954

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
Lurker1 said:
Canada's Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans has announced a new three-year seal-hunt quota that allows fishermen to kill 975,000 harp seals over the next three years.
"The increase comes despite evidence that the quota of 275,000 seals was unsustainable,"

http://www.hsus.org/ace/15954
:mad: :mad: No Comment

><"> :down:

·
Registered
32,916 Posts
Here we go!!! ................ they post a picture of a cute little seal and everyone goes crazy.......... there is a purpose to the seal hunt ya know. I dont see a thread on ........."lets not kill all the cute deer" ....

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
moonmist said:
Here we go!!! ................ they post a picture of a cute little seal and everyone goes crazy.......... there is a purpose to the seal hunt ya know. I dont see a thread on ........."lets not kill all the cute deer" ....
Seems like the kanucks have a clubbing habit
let me tell ya, I have been clubbed several times :eek: :D

What really upsets me is to see Americans clubbing Carp fish in the river :eek: :D

·
Registered
32,916 Posts
Fishy........your crack me up!!!! :p

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Seals have played a huge part in the collapse of the cod fishery in Eastern Canada . They are known to take one bite out of a fish and go for another and another . Now multiply this by 5 million . I scuba dive and quite often fish offshore where not seeing a seal pack is rare . On a bright note , local fishermen carry rifles in their boats and "pop one off " every chance they get which is a better method of killing.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Cloe: have you seen the "Heritage Moment" on TV, the one where John Cabot goes back to the King of England and claims they don't have to depend on Cod from Iceland because there's enough fish in the Grand Banks forever?

That "unlimited supply" lasted 500 years.

The lobster stock in the Northumberland Strait is disappearing.

Sealers claim that the disappearance of the Cod was due to seal overpopulation. Of course their opinion was biased, as is the claim that the government horribly mismanaged Canadian territorial waters.

These points are all debateable and I predict that this thread will end up in civilized Debate.

·
Banned
55,854 Posts
I had a feeling that the fish was the reason.

Thiws is another example of how environmentalists can negatively affect an ecosystem. By over-protecting the seal, many fish species dropped sharply in their numbers.

I hope they get the problem under control so that both seal and fish species can coexist.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting the replies from our Canadian members isn't it?

"Seals do not "eat all the fish" and are categorically not responsible
for the collapse of cod
populations or impeding the recovery of these fish. There is
overwhelming evidence that cod stocks collapsed as a direct result of
over-fishing which was compounded by heavy gear technology of modern
fishing vessels and a large increase in offshore gill nets."

http://www.caft.org.uk/factsheets/sealing.html

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
pop one off.. yet something else I would like to do with the dumb men :)
Thinks of some grizzly scene of misery out in a cabin

fish tied up and skeered

Ash's running around looking for the filet knife

Ashes: I am your number one fan. There is nothing to worry about. You are going to be just fine. I am your number one fan.

Ashes: YOU! YOU DIRTY BIRD, HOW COULD YOU! fish: What? ash: She can't be dead, MISERY CHASTAIN CANNOT BE DEAD! Fish: Ash, sometimes during childbirth, women don't survive. But Miseries SPIRIT is still alive, we shouldn't forget that. Ash: I DON'T WANT HER SPIRIT! I WANT HER, AND YOU MURDERED HER! Fish: No I didn't. Ash: WHO DID?! fish: She just died, slipped away! Ash: SLIPPED AWAY!! NO, YOU MURDERED MY MISERY!!

:p :D :D

No stoner, I am not pickled
maybe salty but not pickled :mad:

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
izme said:
What really upsets me is to see Americans clubbing Carp fish in the river :eek: :D
We generally spear them here. We have been know to use dynamite as well. I believe that overfishing is responsible for the decline in every species not the seal population. Convienient scapegoat but not true.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.