Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just kicked her now ex-boyfriend out of her house. He was a cruel, cheating drunk but thats aside from the point. She has a two year old son with him. 3 or 4 months ago there was a fire where they were living and they lost all of their possessions. She put up the money for the new place but that was all she could afford. They received many gifts of furniture and such from many friends and family to re-furnish the new place. When she kicked him out he told her that he was going to rent a u-haul and take all the posessions in the house. What kind of legal rights does she have?

· Registered
9,629 Posts
If he has a key, none..

Best thing to do is to get it into family court immediately. Until there is a ruling, it's all joint property.

· Registered
27,156 Posts
Get the locks changed immediately.

· Always remembered in our hearts
82,265 Posts
Unlike married couples, unmarried couples have no basic rights to their partner's property or to maintenance if they split up. Basically what is his is his, what is hers is hers, and what is jointly-owned needs to be divided.

Link: http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/basics/cohabit.htm

· Registered
170 Posts
If your friend wants this to go away quickly "I know a guy".(JK)
Seriously, find out if you can apease his anger with one or two things he might want.This might save you a lot of headache and time away from work That is unless he being a complete jerk about the whole thing.
One thing is for sure. No matter who bought what before or after the relationship, the courts or anyone else in there right mind are going to do what's in the best interest of the child. Whether or not that means that the father doesn't get to take any of the "gifts" is going to be a different story. I would follow gotrootdude's advise and get to Family Court QUICK.
On the same note if it's possible for the Ex to still get into the place I would at least get someone to swap out the main locks for now.

· Registered
2,914 Posts
That is probably the worst situation a person could find themselves, an X turd that wants his stuff, unfortunately its joint stuff, she could just let him have all the stuff and let him know what kind of schmuk he is, going to court could become $$$$ so a fresh start is always an option, she could call the local cops when he shows up, most cops that I know will not allow any furniture or big items to leave only personal items clothes, toiletries etc. especially when there is a kid involved.

· Registered
27,156 Posts
Still, change the locks!

· Registered
78 Posts
Gibble said:
Still, change the locks!
That would fix that wouldn't it, He no longer has a key its no longer his stuff.
I had an x boyfriend who decided after 6 months he wanted his stuff. I had moved to a new apt. and he followed me so I had him arrested for stalking :up:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.