Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LG W2234s 22" lcd monitor that I bought about 1 yr ago (and of course lost receipt) and was working fine till I woke up yesterday and the display was a bright green. I have unhooked the monitor from my computer and plugged in my Acer and it works fine. I have the LG pluged in but not hooked up and the screen is still a bright green. I guess what I'm wondering is if the monitor is toast or can it be fixed.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Replacing the backlight or panel could help, most probably back light if it's green all the time and you haven't poured some green liquid inside without noticing.
Yet, not really worth repairing, it still won't have any warranty, you can't be 100% sure about the flaw at hand without first buying a part and replacing, and the monitor is dirt cheap compared to the part prices today.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The LG monitor should have a 3yr warranty. Call LG, they'll KNOW its not 3 years old by its model number and serial number. Receipt is not required.

They ship you a replacement or have it repaired.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed LG to see how much it might be to get it fixed.I tried calling them but lines were busy and I had to leave for work. I let them know what the problem was and that I had no receipt. They do have 3yr parts and labour, but only 1 yr on back light. I'll see what they have to say. If it's to much to fix then Futureshop has a 24" LG 1080p monitor on for $269cdn that I will probably pick up (and put the receipt in the safe). Thanks for the replies guys. I'll report back when I here back from LG.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
3 yr parts and labor should include THE BACKLIGHT!

Perhaps not buy another LG? Samsung has a 24" for $300 or so. With HD tunner / inputs $375+.

But I just checked on newegg... the cheaper monitors have a 1yr warranty. ;(

With such low prices (below $300), a failure would wipe out any profit. Above $300, its 3 years... such as this rose model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001275

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 yr parts and labor should include THE BACKLIGHT!

Perhaps not buy another LG? Samsung has a 24" for $300 or so. With HD tunner / inputs $375+.

But I just checked on newegg... the cheaper monitors have a 1yr warranty. ;(

With such low prices (below $300), a failure would wipe out any profit. Above $300, its 3 years... such as this rose model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001275
I can get the LG locally so no ship and it is 3yr parts labour. The back light is still only 1 yr. I have had good luck with LG with the exception of this monitor. I own LG TV's, DVD burner, DVDrom, Built in Microwave, Washer and Dryer. I can't really fault the company the monitor has not been shut off since I bought it. It was my first LCD Monitor so I used it like my old crt's. Left it on all the time, no sleep mode or anything. Used it to display family pics as a screen saver. Samsung would be my next choice though, I have had a 19" crt samsung for about 5 years and it is still going strong as a secound display on my other computer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LG has a 3 year warranty on everything....did u buy it online if so they would have records....... i just returned a lg monitor and was treated great
No my warrenty paper says right on it 3yrs Parts & Labour, 1 yr Backlight. And I called future shop and they do not keep records unless you purchase a service plan with them.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The backlight *IS* a part... I wouldn't buy another one. To ship from newegg may cost you $10. Cheaper than paying local tax.

The LCDs are made of a few basic parts. stand,base, bezel / PSU / controller board / display panel / Light element. The back-light is one of 5 major parts...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got off the phone with the LG tech and he said just put down the date as being 1yr from today and they will have a replacement in the mail to me today. :up:
Sorry about the poor spelling I'm Canadian and we aren't very bright:D As for the warrenty thing I was only going by what was written on my warrenty card and it stated 3yr Patrs and LABOR, Backlight 1yr. Oh well atleast it is a happy ending.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I understand by what you were going by. I was saying that LG is WRONG to have a 1yr warranty on a major part.

Good that you got a tech that was willing to help you out. He didn't have to do that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried the monitor before I called and it wouldn't even turn on. The tech said that it had a 3yr total warranty so they must have changed it. Plus he said they don't repair they just send out another monitor. It's just good to see a company stick behind their product and have techs that actually help you out. The only problem was I had the wife talked into leting me buy a bigger better HD monitor.:D Oh well saved some money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.