Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Compaq laptop on which the sound card has died. I have been in contact with Compaq and they can do nothing for me.

I was hoping to get a PCMCIA sound card, but they seem to be an extinct item. Does anyone have any ideas? I have WindowsME on the computer.

Thanks -
Karen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sound stopped working.......Compaq tech support determined the sound card wasn't working. The laptop was out of warranty, though.

Nothing in particular happened....the previous use of the laptop had no sound problems. It had been a few days since I had used it.

I had no sound for anything....windows sounds, application sounds, CDs, chat sounds, etc.

Karen

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Did they determine this over the phone? Or did someone actually look at it?

If it was over the phone, I think I'd still try some troubleshooting ideas......

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
I figured as much....standard answer 1.01

Go to start button, settings, control panel, system, device manager.....look at the sound card entry....

Yellow exclamation marks on that or anything else? What does it say for the sound card entry?

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
Did you run the restore CD which returned your system to all original settings without your data or applications installed? If so, and the sound still didn't work, then it's highly possible the sound card is dead. If you've got the time, go ahead and troubleshoot some things, but I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time on it. Running the restore CD would have reinstalled the sound drivers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Max19
Did you run the restore CD which returned your system to all original settings without your data or applications installed? If so, and the sound still didn't work, then it's highly possible the sound card is dead. If you've got the time, go ahead and troubleshoot some things, but I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time on it. Running the restore CD would have reinstalled the sound drivers.
Yes - this is exactly what I did.

Now - back to my original question: where can I get a PCMCIA sound card for a laptop running WindowsME? I would be willing to reformat and install Windows 98 if that would help.

Thanks!
Karen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.