Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Desktop with XP and a Dell Laptop with XP a couple years ago I bought a Belkin G router. Worked great. I could use the laptop anywhere in the house no problems.
In the summer we go to our camper and I connect the laptop to a wired broadband modem. That works great also. I come home turn on the laptop and it connects all by itself to my router. This time however when I turn on the laptop in the living room it tells me it sees the belkin router did I want to connect...I say yes and nothing happens. It does not connect. I didn't do anything different this year so I don't know why it don't connect.
When I open the wireless connection it does not show any wireless connections there I have refreshed the list.
Any ideas why it won't connect?
Thank You
Janet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, and I reentered the network key and did get it to connect now but it has little or no connectivity so I still can't get online with it even though it shows full connectivity.
I unplugged the router and let it set for a while and still it will connevt now but can't get online.
Thanks Again
Janet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something came up and I re-entered I thought was the network key. When I set it up the first time it had a generic that I guess everyone knew and it let me change it.....I entered that and was able to connect that way.
Is the Key Code something else? I have not come across that. Where would I find it?
And if it isn't what I changed at first I have no idea what the code would be.
I thought this morning everything would be good but it isn't. I have good connection, everybody sees everybody just the connectivity is low.....
I am about ready to bring it in here and connect direct because this old desktop is so slow but that would defeat the reason for the laptop.......
Thanks Janet

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
If you have a network key that you enter it's usually on the bottom of the router. There are usually two sets of numbers. The one set in [ brackets] is usually the one that is the key.
Jazz (you don't put the brackets in)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing there with brackets. 3 stickers with numbers one is the serial number
one says WLAN/LAN/MAC address one is WAN/MAC address the only other number on there is a ver. number.
Janet

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
You have probably gone down this path already,but just for a brain check:

Just some thoughts.I do not have a Belkin,but:
If you are using encryption on your network(wep/wpa/etc) logging on to your net requires an encryption(network key).
Generally,which encryption level and key can be displayed by going into your router's admin/wireless security page.Logging onto your router will require a userid/password.This should all be covered in your user's manual.
When you get in,you can change all of the above.

You could also probably reset the router to it's default state to see if that changes your symptoms,but that would require you to know the default userid/password.That too should be in the user's manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check it out and let you know. But why it would do this in the first place is beyond me. I didn't change anything so it should have been just like the other times I took it away from the router.....lol
Thanks again..
Janet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.