Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop has a 120GB 2.5" hard drive. I took it out today (out of interest, no specific reason) and I noticed it had the standard SATA connections on it. Does this mean I can hook it up to my desktop PC, as I would a standard 3.5" SATA hard drive, for backup and scans etc?

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the power fitted, and the data fitted. Booted it up and it didn't show in BIOS. I seem to have 2 types of SATA port on my motherboard so I connected the drive to a SATA cable from one of the working 3.5" hard drives and it showed in My Computer, I can access it fine and it even shows the two partitions.

One last question: I heard SATA is hot-swappable once. Is this true?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well the power fitted, and the data fitted. Booted it up and it didn't show in BIOS. I seem to have 2 types of SATA port on my motherboard so I connected the drive to a SATA cable from one of the working 3.5" hard drives and it showed in My Computer, I can access it fine and it even shows the two partitions.

One last question: I heard SATA is hot-swappable once. Is this true?
While I have hot swapped many non-hot-swappable disks in my time, I would not, in general, recommend it. AFAIK, SATA is not considered hot-swappable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.