Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a new Compaq Laptop and can not connect to my wireless Netgear Router. The laptop can see the router when you go to Network connections but will not allow me to connect. I ahve configured the router and using WPA-PSK and have entered new passphrase. I have also ammended the settings on the network connection on the laptop to reflect the same. I still however cant connect - says "cannot connect to Network" Has anyone got any ideas what I am doing wrong am a novice with laptops and wireless connections. Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
if you tunr off the security on the router for now, can you connect to the wireless network that way? try connecting to the router with security off before trying to do it with security on. also, has the new laptop been able to connect to any other wireless networks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I have tried with security off and WEP still the same. For the first few day is was connecting but wasnt sure if it was to my router as there were a few networks available. The signal was very poor and would drop out constantly and the web was so slow wasnt worth using. So I tried to configure Router with new name etc and removed other networks from laptop. I havent been able to connect since - even though I can see the network in Network connections - with strong connection etc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
what i meant was, can you connect it like at a starbucks, or the library ( i know you cant do those things at the moment, but it would help us determine if the wireless on the laptop even works)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Try disabling all encryption and MAC filtering on the router and see if you can connect that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.