Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am seeking some sort of advice on trying to get my LAN working. I have windows XP and i have two LAN connections one via USB which enables me to go onto the internet and one via Ethernet cable the reason i want to take my USB one out and use the ethernet is because i have bought a router and you can't plug a USB into the back of the router because they are Ethernet Connections. the problem with my ethernet connection i dont know but on the network it has a red cross on the local area connection,

if you do know the problem and know how to solve it am not a whiz with computers so you will have to say it so it is easy to understand lol, thanks for your help in advanced

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
For starters you need to plug in your Ethernet cable into the router.
Then disconnect the USB connection

Assuming you have something like a DSL or Cable modem:
Turn everything off (modem, router, computer(s)
Turn on the modem and wait a minute or so
Turn on the router and wait a minute or so
Start the computer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tried what you suggested still the same...also have tried to make a new LAN Connection went through the process what you have to do and it clicked finish and i assumed LAN 3 would appear but nothing appeared

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
am guessing no because i havent used the ethernet cable since i have had the computer just used the USB how would i go about enabling it in the device mananger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right now, i have both LAN's looking as if they should work without them being disconnected or without the red cross the problem is now i cant run the internet one both are in USB and Ethernet and i cannot run Ethernet so i can only run the internet when USB is plugged in without the Ethernet cable so the problem is trying to get the Ethernet to work by its own which i do not have a clue but i havent used it ever before i am just using it now because i bought a linksys router

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.