Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Xerox 6120 color laser printer that I want to set up as my default printer on my home office network. It has a ethernet connection but when I plug it into my router (Lynksy WRT54G) and run the setup disk that came with the printer it doesn't find it on the network. I am able to set it up connecting it to my desktop via a USB port but I really want it connected directly to the network, the desktop is getting old and I have no plans on replacing it when it dies. Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
601 Posts
It may be that the utility is malfunctioning though they are usually pretty good. Have you uninstalled the USB version? I'd print out a configuration page from the laser so you can find out what the printer's IP address is then I'd ping that address from the computer. Also, if the utility doesn't work you're going to have to setup the printer to have a static IP address. Unfortunately, I don't know your printer specifically so I'm not sure how to get through the menu items but you can access the IP address and configuration from the printer directly.

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The printer automatically prints a configuration page when you start it up, it has the IP address of 169.254.020.198. I did a ping test and it timed out an all tries. I could go into the menu setup of the printer and set a static IP address and try that. Does it matter what you change it to?

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's an autoconfiguration IP address which means that it's not getting the information from the DHCP server on your router. I would say your best course of action right now is to take DoubleHelix's advice.
Let us know how that goes.

Joe

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
gbsorenson said:
I just bought a new Xerox 6120 color laser printer that I want to set up as my default printer on my home office network. It has a ethernet connection but when I plug it into my router (Lynksy WRT54G) and run the setup disk that came with the printer it doesn't find it on the network. I am able to set it up connecting it to my desktop via a USB port but I really want it connected directly to the network, the desktop is getting old and I have no plans on replacing it when it dies. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Did you try waiting a while and trying to locate the printer on the network again? Sometimes, I've found, for no apparent reason, the network is lazy about picking up a new piece of hardware. Shut the network places windows for ten minutes or so and try again. I have the same router, and, every once in a while it won't pick up hubby's computer. I close my network places and try a few minutes later and it's there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.